UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TVWAVs Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308470  
Subject: Credit Protection Association Date: 6/11/1998 6:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A few months ago, I recieved a letter from Credit Protection Agency telling me that the cable TV account from my previous address was overdue by $20.20. So, I sent in my payment assuming it would be taken care of.

Well, four threatening letters later, it still hasn't. The cable company has cashed my check. I called them to verify that my balance my balance has been payed, and they say it has and that they'd contact CPA to notify them that it's been payed. Calling the phone number for the CPA gets you a recorded message saying that it isn't designed to return phone calls - leave a message and we'll look into your request.

I left a message after the last letter came. They obviosuly didn't look into it because I received another letter today.

Argh, this makes me so mad! I've only been late on a payment once (to a CC because I forgot to mail it). There's no bad marks on my credit report and I'd hate to have it marred because these idiots can't get their act together. Calling CPA doesn't help, so I'll be sending a letter off to them to see if I can clear this up.

What else can I do?!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Rogue31 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2284 of 308470
Subject: Re: Credit Protection Association Date: 6/11/1998 11:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Had a similar instance once. No replies to phone calls, etc. I finally checked with a lawyer. He wrote a letter to the company threatening action if they did not take care of the problem immediately. This cost me a grand total of $25. A week later I got a letter apologizing and showing the matter had been removed.

Sometimes you roar louder with a loudspeaker.

Rogue 31

Author: funkychair Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2286 of 308470
Subject: Re: Credit Protection Association Date: 6/12/1998 12:12 AM
Since you already paid the people you owe, this is so frustrating. I had this happen with a phone bill. I think once the collection people get the account, the original people just sit back and wait. It doesn't matter to them who you pay, but the collection agency people make a commission off you paying them.

I waited until they called again and we went 3-way with the original company so they could verify that I paid. You can't trust that the either company will do anything once you're off the phone with them. Maybe you could ask the cable company to go 3-way with the CPA people, and get it straightened out. How annoying though, huh?

BTW- I was getting new tires today- unexpected expense, good thing for the emergency fund. And as I'm standing there waiting, I see this big billboard across the street. It says, "Armaggeddon, coming July 1st!"

funkychair

Author: PSUEngineerFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2292 of 308470
Subject: Re: Credit Protection Association Date: 6/12/1998 9:47 AM
Send your letter to them certified with return receipt. That way you can refer to the actual person who signed for your letter if the CPA says it didn't receive the letter and doesn't clear up your account.

If this doesn't work, you can use Rogue31's approach. Like everyone else, they hate lawyers.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement