UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: yeisldo Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308568  
Subject: Credit Report question Date: 3/9/2001 10:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm in what I believe to be a helpless situation. The company I work with erroneously had my name placed on two different accounts with a SkyTel(Beeper/cell phone company). About two months ago I received two bills from SkyTel, one for each account. I called a rep at my company and was told that my name would be taken off both accounts and that I didn't need to pay the bills.

One month ago I received two more bills, both indicating past due 30days. I called the rep again and she indicated that there must have been a communication problem between her and the rep at SkyTel. She said she would handle it and not to worry.

Well sure enough, I just received another two bills, stating that both accounts were 60days past due and this would now reflect on my credit report. Now, I called SkyTel directly and explained the situation, they indicated that this issue could not be removed from my credit report, but that when it was taken care of by my company, they would change the status on my credit report to "not responsible for payment".

I have a few questions:
1) Is this true that it can not be removed from my
credit report?

2) If true, how long will it appear on my
report?

3) Is this perceived as a negative against me or
does the explanation of "not responsible for
payment" hold any value and will be
disregarded by future Creditors?

4) Has this kind of situation happened to any one
else? If so, what course of action can I take
to correct this?

Thanks for any help,
yeisldo
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61009 of 308568
Subject: Re: Credit Report question Date: 3/9/2001 3:11 PM
No it is not true. The original reporting company CAN delete an account in full if they want to, or for that matter change anything about it. They just don't want to go to the trouble of personally taking care of that issue.

If the account doesn't belong to you, contest it with the credit bureaus. They will require the reporting company to provide proof that the data is accurate.

If it isn't removed it could theoretically stay on your record over seven years.

xtn

Author: Georgia123 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61011 of 308568
Subject: Re: Credit Report question Date: 3/9/2001 3:19 PM
1) Is this true that it can not be removed from my
credit report?

No- anything can be removed from your credit report but it must be removed by the person/company that put it there- therefore, if skytel reported to the credit agency then skytel must take it off. credit reports are updated monthly- companies send the data to the credit reporting agencies who update their databases.

2) If true, how long will it appear on my
report?
that would probably be a 30 or 60 day "counter" - counters appear on every "tradeline" or account- they will be 0 if you were never late or 1 next to 60 when you are 60 days late once etc. they are usually on your report for about 7 years.

3) Is this perceived as a negative against me or
does the explanation of "not responsible for
payment" hold any value and will be
disregarded by future Creditors?
Yes, counters are considered a derogatory item. for example, if you try to get a house and they notice you have a 60 day counter they may ask you to write a letter to the mortgage company asking why. what do you mean by "not responsible for payment?"

4) Has this kind of situation happened to any one
else? If so, what course of action can I take
to correct this?
this stuff happens all the time- it kills me when reporting companies say there is nothing they can do or that equifax or transunion has to take it off, not them. be forewarned- credit reporting agencies are just that- they report using the data that is given to them. I would probably have your company try to handle this with you. and perhaps they can get the company to take them off.

good luck!
to make you feel better- i had several counters on my credit report years ago because a retail account was posting MY payments to a different account holder (long story)- i was actually paying off someone else's card! It took a while and many letters and phone calls and frusteration but it finally got sorted out!

Author: Georgia123 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61012 of 308568
Subject: Re: Credit Report question Date: 3/9/2001 3:22 PM
One more thing.... you may contest it with the company, this is true- what they do is put what they call a "narrative code" next to the tradeline- indicating that the account is being disputed. the company has 30 days to respond to the dispute- if they do not respond then it is taken off your record. If they do dispute it then it remains WITH the narrative code which may also be considered a derogratory item. so, i would try to settle it BEFORE i disputed it if, even if it is a misunderstanding, they can, on paper, prove that you owe the money.

Author: yeisldo Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61018 of 308568
Subject: Re: Credit Report question Date: 3/9/2001 5:13 PM

Thank you Georgia123 and XTN for your quick responses and for your advise.

Author: cable666 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61033 of 308568
Subject: Re: Credit Report question Date: 3/9/2001 7:47 PM
Recommendations: 1
I wouldn't accept it. It is time to start kicking butt and taking names.

It is absolutly illegal for any party to report incorrect information to your credit report.

Contest the information in writing with the CRA and with Skytell.

They can change this information. They are lying to you when they tell you otherwise.

Now that you know they are lying to you, you know how much you can trust their "word". From now, doing everything in writing.

Author: skb1976 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61062 of 308568
Subject: Re: Credit Report question Date: 3/10/2001 8:13 AM
I haven't finished readig through all the replies here, but right this minute...stop making phone calls. Go through registered mail instead. It's not as easy as a 1-800 number, but at least you'll know who got your complaint and when.

Also, an account that was not yours was opened in your name. Place a fraud alert with the Big 3. This should have been done the second you got the bills. They'll do the investigation and require SkyTel to confirm the accounts are yours. Check their websites for mailing addresses and directions on how to place the alert.

www.transunion.com
www.experian.com
www.equifax.com

--skb

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement