Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19021  
Subject: Credit Scare Date: 3/28/2013 12:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 31
People sometimes ask why I bother to check AnnualCreditReport.Com to get a report from each credit bureau once a year, since I haven't needed a loan in years. Here's why:

I pull a report from one bureau every four months. March was EquiFax's turn. TransUnion report in November had been fine, but right away this time I got worried. Two of the identity verification questions related to a student loan I supposedly had. I answered "none of the above" but was then told I could not get the report online. I would have to complete a form and mail it with two IDs, one including my SS number, to get the report by mail. I did that the next day, hours before leaving on a 3 week trip to warmer weather.

When I returned there was an envelope with my address but someone else's name on it waiting for me. Full credit report on this other person with my SS# but different address, job history, and many accounts. Review showed many of the accounts closed and the open ones current. He had two credit cards I have but the account numbers appeared to be different. At this point my heart is racing and I'm not thinking too clearly but I knew I needed help.

First problem was all the phone numbers EquiFax provided on the report led to menus with no option to talk to anyone and punching '0' repeatedly didn't work either. In desperation I tried a Google search for a number for a live person. It worked! Several numbers came up and one of them worked. The woman who answered patiently listened to my story and began trying to help me. Several times she put me on hold to research something. Finally she transferred me to another woman. Again I related my story. She asked lots of questions and eventually told me she had the documents I'd sent in to verify identity. It appeared they had somehow merged my account with this other person due to a 1 digit error in SS number input somewhere.

Eventually we were able to determine the two credit cards really were my accounts but listed without the last four digits. (Once I calmed down a little I saw that the account origination dates and credit limits were the same as mine. Then I realized the report only showed the first 12 digits of the account number.) Finally the woman said she thought she could get the my credit data seperated and she would call me back by the end of the day. I got her name and direct line before we ended the call. She called within 3 hours to say everything was fixed and a new credit report would be sent to me.

I'm waiting for the new report, but once I have it I will contact the other two bureaus just to be certain this really is only an EquiFax problem. I'm very thankful it wasn't identity theft. Also thankful EquiFax was so cooperative. I've heard many nightmares about people trying to get errors in their reports fixed. I spent more than an hour on the phone but that was nothing compared to what it would take to fix identity theft.

The moral of the story: Check all three of your credit reports every year. Even if you don't need to borrow money, your insurnace company uses them, potential employers use them, and who know who else. An undetected problem can cause you problems and cost you money.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement