UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: doctorrico Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308473  
Subject: CreditGurus, can I use the CCC to my advantage? Date: 4/19/2001 11:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1

Hello. I've been lurking, I've read the FAQ, now I'm ready to ask my question(s):

(1) other than "fine print" surcharges for cash advances or balance transfers, assuming I'm not going to miss payments, any reason I shouldn't use a convenience check to pay a part of my student loan rolling at 8% in order to switch to an APR of 3.9% until September, provided I can pay off the balance by then?

(2) once I transfer this debt via convenience check, any reason I shouldn't balance transfer to a totally new CC with an intro APR of 1.7% for as long as the promo period lasts, again, provided I can pay it off before they slam me with the high rate?

(3) once this promo period ends, any reason I can't roll this balance along to a new card with a new low APR, assuming I can find one (we all know they mail an offer about once a week). Mainly, I'm worried about if there are implications for my credit report if I open and close a bunch of new cards just to take advantage of their low rates.

In sum,

(1) are there other pitfalls besides "fine print" surcharges for cash advance and transfers, as long as I don't miss payments, and

(2) could there be a potentially adverse effect on my credit rating to open and close new credit card accounts to get the low APR and then toss/close them after the intro period is over?

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this. Who knows the answer?

Thanks,

Doctorrico
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement