UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 756301  
Subject: Re: 10 worst states to retire in Date: 9/26/2012 1:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Crime rate - avoid our major urban areas

Climate - OK, ya got me. The winters can be brutal

Longevity - How this is related to anything other than lifestyle choices and genetics is not clear

Economic condition - I thought we were talking about retirement?

Taxes - my federal pension is exempt from state income taxes

Job Opportunities - see economic conditions above

Cost of Living - I can find oodles of decent houses for less than $50,000

I can see how many would rate those as negatives. Some people just really, REALLY hate the cold. I love it, always have. One of my co-workers who was born in Saginaw now lives in Texas, she couldn't stand the cold. I'm just the opposite, the heat would drive me batty! I'd never leave the house if it got as hot for as long as it does down there!

Some pensions are taxed now in Michigan, though there is a generous cut-off and graduated payments to the point where few pay and those that do don't pay much in income taxes on their retirements (though to listen to them you'd think Gov. Snyder rifles through their wallets and leaves them with pocket change!)

Economic conditions can cause retirement problems in that you have to be able to save for retirement first, and if you can't get a job good luck saving for retirement! Not to mention you'll still be engaged in economic activity while retired. Living in Ann Arbor I'm rather spoiled in that regard, we have the lowest unemployment and highest economic activity in the state here... but at the cost of having the highest housing costs and a high cost of living in general. I pay about 50% more for an apartment because I live in Ann Arbor vs. anywhere else in the state (save for East Lansing or other areas close to major campuses perhaps.) That could be the problem. The areas where it would be good to retire to per the experts (like Ann Arbor) are the most expensive parts of the state. Sure, you could retire to Detroit and live like a king... until everything you own is stolen from you and you're found dead in an alley. Or you can live in a shed in Ann Arbor but have access to all the sports, culture and educational resources your heart desires just a short walk or an AATA bus ride away.

Me? I'm a Michigan Man, don't ever see myself leaving this state. I've threatened in the past, but when it comes down to it I just love it here too much. Four seasons, world class fishing, great hunting (if I ever take it up!), camping, hiking, winter sports, beaches, UofM, my family (and my wife's family)... it's all here. Oh, and food, restaurants up the wazoo here in Ann Arbor! Apparently there's a pizza joint downtown where Mario Battoli (sp?) went a few weeks ago and RAVED about it, it's brand new and already one of the 20 best italian restaurants in the country apparently! That's pretty cool if you ask me! I could walk there from where I am now (it would be a long walk, but I need the exercise, lol!)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement