UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 56787  
Subject: Crisis for Connecticut's 1% Date: 11/6/2011 2:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
A week after the freak October snowstorm, power has still not been restored to the wealthy suburbs that surround the impoverished Hartford city core.

http://www.courant.com/news/weather/hc-october-snowstorm-201...

Malloy said Sunday that he had received complaints from many town leaders who said that they were misled by the utility about how many crews were working in their towns, when work would be completed and when power would be restored.

Col. John Whitford, a spokesman for the National Guard, said Sunday that the troop's focus had shifted somewhat from Simsbury and Avon to Windsor Locks, Enfield and Farmington.

CL&P had wrestled outages down below the 10 percent level by Saturday night, restoring power to tens of thousands of people but still leaving a number of towns from the Farmington Valley east to the Massachusetts border still largely cold and dark.

</snip>

I doubt there'd be as much consternation if it was the poor folk freezing in the dark.

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37867 of 56787
Subject: Re: Crisis for Connecticut's 1% Date: 11/6/2011 3:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
LIkely the rich had better lawyers fighting the power company and it's desire to trim the trees in their ritzy neighborhoods..

So when the heavy snow brought down the tens of thousands of trees in their neighborhoods, with low density of houses per mile...they were the last on the list to get restored.

Makes perfect sense.

Maybe next time they'll not fight the power company so hard on letting them trim the trees away from the power line.

Happens in downtown Dallas and the first ice storm takes out power to those neighborhoods fighting the most to stop tree trimming.....and of course, those folks scream bloody murder, and when the power lines are put back up, those trees are really really trimmed.....before the lines go back up......look like half trees. Or no trees at all.

It's sad that intercst has to dump on the folks..but he's a cheap shot person. I know people there who were without power for five or six days. Not fun.

Heck, in rural VA, the power went out for 4 days one time in the middle of winter. Good thing I had a big woodstove to keep the house from freezing and a fire place, too. And a pile of wood. When you live at the end of a power line, with 2 houses per mile....you are last on the list to get your power back......wasn't fun, but, heck, with some flashlights, burning wood, a few extra blankets, eating meals out on the way home.....I got by. That was 30 years ago when I was 25-30 years old, so it wasn't all that 'inconvenient'.

t.

t.

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37918 of 56787
Subject: Re: Crisis for Connecticut's 1% Date: 11/8/2011 2:04 AM
The 1% are in Greenwich.

BG

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37919 of 56787
Subject: Re: Crisis for Connecticut's 1% Date: 11/8/2011 2:35 AM
BlueGrits writes,

The 1% are in Greenwich.

There's quite a few one-percenters in the wooded hills around Hartford.

That's where all your insurance money went.

intercst

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement