Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFBro Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 13999  
Subject: Critically important Date: 11/5/2001 10:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does anyone else think "critically important" is redundant?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Dwalin Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19 of 13999
Subject: Re: Critically important Date: 11/5/2001 12:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Does anyone else think "critically important" is redundant? TMFBro

It usually is, used by the majority of people who know nothing about grammar, but it can mean something that is important and is about to blow up, or melt down, or cause some sort of catastrophe if it is not attended to immediately. Something important might not be immediately catstrophic, but it will still be a bad idea to ignore whatever it is.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25 of 13999
Subject: Re: Critically important Date: 11/5/2001 5:22 PM
Recommendations: 1

Then there's the ever popular department store sign, "Free Gift."

There's another kind?

Nancy

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61 of 13999
Subject: Re: Critically important Date: 11/20/2001 9:22 AM
Recommendations: 2

There's another kind?

Nancy

Past history.

Gayle

Author: phantomdiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64 of 13999
Subject: Re: Critically important Date: 11/20/2001 12:15 PM
Past history.

And its yearbook-signing cousin, "Good luck in the future."

phantomdiver

Author: prime13 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65 of 13999
Subject: Re: Critically important Date: 11/20/2001 12:29 PM
Past history.

History is a social construct and, as such, it can and does change. So what is history today may not be history tomorrow. Thus "past history" could make perfect sense. I agree that it is not usually used in this sense but we should not condemn the phrase.

prime13

Author: czeslaw2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 66 of 13999
Subject: Re: Critically important Date: 11/20/2001 12:37 PM
Recommendations: 2
==========

what about "most unique?"

Get our most unique free gift today!

Catherine

Author: ShelbyBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96 of 13999
Subject: Re: Critically important Date: 12/2/2001 9:29 PM
Is the following redundant?

50% Off

- ShelbyBoy

Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104 of 13999
Subject: Re: Critically important Date: 12/2/2001 10:01 PM
Recommendations: 4
Is the following redundant? 50% Off

Argh - reminds me of when I worked in retail. Every year after Christmas, we would take two tables, place all the selected books on the table with a BIG red sign, then lable EACH book on the table with a BIG red sticker. All of the BIG red signs read: "50% off marked prices." All of the BIG red stickers would read: "50% off marked prices"

Yet almost all the people would look at the sign, then look at the stickers, then look at us and ask "Is this 50% off?"

I got in trouble the day I flippantly replied: "No, we just put those stickers on to fool the customers."

Jennifer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement