Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: scollywaltz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: crocheters & knitters Date: 3/3/2004 9:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
so what was your first project, how long did it take, and how did it turn out??

mine: scarf, about a week, turned out pretty but slightly flawed (i accidentally dropped a stitch about 1/3 of the way through...and then added a stitch to compensate about 2/3 of the way through -- tried to pretend it was on purpose, for the neck area, ha!)

my second one is a full-size afghan (but it's all sc stitches) -- going ok so far. better than the scarf, i think.

scolly
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2400 of 7313
Subject: Re: crocheters & knitters Date: 3/3/2004 9:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Gosh, I don't remember. I was 7 or so when mom started teaching me both knitting and crocheting. I know for crocheting I did granny squares, but I don't remember when I actually finished a knitting project.

When I was around 12, I knitted a sweater and skirt set, on small needles, size 2 maybe. The skirt was sooooooo boring, I swore never again. But it was pretty.

Ishtar

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2401 of 7313
Subject: Re: crocheters & knitters Date: 3/3/2004 10:21 PM
I can't remember for sure what my first project was other than test pieces. I did have one of those little Red Heart Learn how to knit books I bought at Woolworth's. (heck I still have to refer to it, that's how often I knit!) But I do know one of my first big projects was a Dr Who scarf for my sister who absolutely adored that show.

I wonder if she still has it? I never see her wear it anymore. :-)

RM

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2405 of 7313
Subject: Re: crocheters & knitters Date: 3/3/2004 11:58 PM
so what was your first project, how long did it take, and how did it turn out??

I've been crocheting since I was about 8, so I'm not sure I remember anymore. I know I did a doll's blanket at one time, but I'm not certain it was my first crocheting project.
My most recent was some lace for my daughter's dress. I'm working on something right now that started off as a scarf, then mutated into a sweater for my daughter.

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2407 of 7313
Subject: Re: crocheters & knitters Date: 3/4/2004 8:50 AM
Recommendations: 9
I've been crocheting for quite a few years, but I think my first project was a doily using crochet cotton. I have a few of those around the house. Then I moved up to afghans, but I have never made anything to be worn, so I didn't have to worry about perfect gauge.

I learned to knit last year because my daughter, who is a Girl Scout, was getting her Bronze Award which is the highest award a Junior Girl Scout can earn, and they do it when they are 11. Anyhow, for her project, she decided to coordinate getting knitting lessons for the troop and the moms who were interested, and we used a very simple knit pattern to make hats for premature babies. I was very proud of her doing this project and all its coordination. She even put a letter to the editor in our local paper, and had several of the older ladies in our town and in the next town over knitting hats. I even had the mother of someone I work with knitting hats, and this lady lives in Florida while we're in Massachusetts. Anyhow, my daughter collected 278 knitted hats from everyone, and we donated them to the NICU where she and her twin brother spent the beginning of their lives.

This project was special to my daughter and to me because my kids were born 12 weeks prematurely, and I still have their hats from when they were only 2 pounds and in the NICU. It was nice to give back to something that had such personal meaning to us.

Author: TMFMEnnis Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2408 of 7313
Subject: Re: crocheters & knitters Date: 3/4/2004 10:49 AM
Are you still collecting preemie hats?

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2409 of 7313
Subject: Re: crocheters & knitters Date: 3/4/2004 10:54 AM
Are you still collecting preemie hats?

Yes, actually. There are a few folks that are still knitting and give me hats, and I simply send them in about once a quarter. We've split the hats between two hospitals now - one that is local to us, and the one at which my children were born that is in Boston.

Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2410 of 7313
Subject: Re: crocheters & knitters Date: 3/4/2004 12:29 PM
I think (memory is a little fuzzy) that my first knitted project was a pair of garter stitch slippers with pompons on them when I was about 15 or so. Took about a week because I didn't quite get the hang of casting on. Then silly me jumped right into a sweater with cables and seed stitch, and it actually came out nicely (even though a little smaller than the oversized look I wanted because my gauge was too tight at the time).

These days, I knit at gauge but still check it religiously before each project. Learn the hard way, I guess!

CK

Author: polarg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2411 of 7313
Subject: Re: crocheters & knitters Date: 3/4/2004 6:34 PM
I was probably 8 or 9 when my mom taught me to knit. I recall that it was positively awful, full of dropped stitches and runs from dropped stitches and messed up rows and it was in baby-pink worsted wool.

When I was 21 I started knitting again and made my gf a scarf with three three-ply cables running the length. It took about a month, as I had to teach myself how to do cables from a book. Now, (5 years later) I could probably do the same scarf in about 2 weeks of knitting at night while watching tv.

Author: korir Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2433 of 7313
Subject: Re: crocheters & knitters Date: 3/8/2004 3:10 PM
Although my mom is a knitter, I taught myself to crochet in middle school, and to knit in high school. I knit a fair amount while in college, but up until last year, I had never knit anything that wasn't square and simple (think potholders and afghan squares).
Then, I found out I was pregnant. Last January (about 3 months into the pregnancy) I went to a yarn store, got a pattern book, and yarn for 2 projects. I started a set: a scandinavian baby cardigan with reindeer, with matching booties and hat. On July 7, the day before my baby was born, I finished the sweater. I had already finished the booties. The hat got finished in late September.

The second project was a blue pullover sweater with 3 ducks on the front & 3 on the back. I began it in October, and finished it yesterday.
hmmm. . . do I start another baby project, or those socks I keep thinking about?

Author: jenifair One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2435 of 7313
Subject: Re: crocheters & knitters Date: 3/8/2004 3:28 PM
My mom crocheted and didn't like to knit and my grandma knitted all the time. So mom taught me to crochet when I was little but I don't remember actually finishing anything then. About 7 years ago I make some doily style christmas tree ornaments that are "technically" finished but I never blocked or starched them.

I learned to knit about two months ago. I've "finished" knitting a pair of felted slippers but haven't felted them yet ( I don't have a top loading washer so I haven't decided the best way to felt them yet)My first project was a scarf and I did make a hat for DH but it's a little too big so I'm deciding to add elastic thread or rip it apart and start again.

<sigh> I'm seeing a trend of not quite finished projects with me

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2438 of 7313
Subject: Re: crocheters & knitters Date: 3/8/2004 3:40 PM
but haven't felted them yet ( I don't have a top loading washer so I haven't decided the best way to felt them yet)

I've only done a little bit of felting (felted socks, sm wall hanging and cat-toys) but I haven't used a washer.

Just hot water, dawn, and my two hands. I just work the wool between my hands until it startes to felt in the soapy water. Put it in water the same temp with vinegar in it to rinse (the vinegar pulls the detergent out) then on a sweater rack (or, for smaller things, the racks out of my food dehydrator) to dry.

Ishtar

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement