Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
crushers:

I don't know what the heck you are talking about. Perhaps it is your assesment that they don't use proper techniques, but I don't see how you could come to that conclusion.

Well let's see. You stated that the MI board would not only give Qwerty the answer but also hand him his hat if he posted his point about benchmarking to the population, which is the proper technique I was refering to. You also claim that arguments made here won't do “as well” as on the MI board due to the higher level of investing sophistication to be found there. Put it together and you have arguments about proper techniques that won't do well on boards with sophisticated investors. So, I guess I didn't make this claim after all, you did, I was merely restating it.

I said nothing about proper techniques.

The obvious implication from your statement is that the MI board would disagree with the content of Qwerty's post, which was about proper benchmarking techniques. If your point was merely that Qwerty should post on the MI board and not specifically about the content of his post, then why the reference to being handed one's hat?

I am not sure you have ever posted to the MI board and if you have I have missed it.

I don't post at the MI board because the discussions there do not go to as much analytical depth as this board does. I skim the posts once in a while, but most of the discussions there do not interest me. I found the post that Kirk linked today a good thread and so I put in my $0.02.

The guys at MI are constantly scrutinizing their strategies and are very aware of datamining problems and are constantly harrassing people for using it in some of the portfolios being tested.

That is contrary to most of the posts that I have seen there, but of course I haven't read all of them and perhaps my sample is bad. Or perhaps your definition of "constantly scrutinizing their strategies" and "very aware of datamining problems" are much different from mine, what with me being unsophisticated and all. ;-)

Besides I don't own any hats so I guess I shouldn't be posting there in the first place.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement