UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75793  
Subject: Re: 401(k) loan Date: 3/28/2013 6:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
culcha: "I know it's a bad thing, but, last year, in order to avoid other bad things that were even worse, I took out a 401(k) loan. It was for the max: $50,000. Now, I'm paying that back at $900+ a month. The payments are scheduled over a five-year period, by which time Ill be a few months away from my planned retirement."

Ok. I am not as reflexively against 401k loans as many on these boards, but much depends upon the loan terms of your plan.

"The thing is, I have to make the payments with after-tax money. But when I do retire (which will be either according to my plan, or perhaps a couple of years later), I'll be taking money out of the 401(k) and having to pay tax on it. The closer I get to retirement (and the end of paying off this loan), the worse it seems to me tax-wise.

In the worst case, if I retire as planned, I'd be making the last few payments on the loan -- with money that I've already been taxed on --and soon afterwards retiring and taking money out of the 401(k) and having to pay tax on it again.

Somehow that doesn't seem right. Maybe I am missing something, or not thinking about it in the right way? (Or maybe this is just one of the things that make a 401k loan a bad thing?)"

You are tying yourself in knots for no good reason.

1. You always knew that money coming out of the plan would be taxed.

2. There are very few personal loans that still generate tax deductible interest - home purchase money, home equity not to exceed $100k, student loan (subject to income limitations) and margin loans (to the extent of investment income, as I understand it). Either theese choices were not available to you or you determined that they were worse for you than the 401k loan.

3. If you had borrowed from any other source with a loan whoe interest payments were not tax deductible, you would be paying with after tax income, and you would still be paying tax on all money coming out of the 401k. IOW, no worse off than you are now.

4. The only real alternative is to either pay the loan early - either off altogether or with proceeds of a different loan that would allow you to deduct interest payments. If no such loan exists, then we are back to number 2.

Just my $0.02.

Regards, JAFO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement