Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (64) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 528028  
Subject: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/6/2013 1:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
"There are many similar examples of common names being applied to disparate plants or plant groups. One is snotty-gobble (the parasite Cassytha [filiformis] in South Australia, Persoonia saccata in Western Australia)."

e
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AlsoChorizo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505947 of 528028
Subject: Re: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/6/2013 1:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I think you just made that up.

AC *you're just a snotty-gobble*

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505948 of 528028
Subject: Re: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/6/2013 1:35 PM
Recommendations: 2
ancilla : The sidekick who helps another to accomplish or master something difficult or complicated. A loyal, trusted aide for whatever task is at hand, from learning Japanese in one month to building a Transylvanian android to just defeating the bad guys. An ancilla can also be called an adjunctory. A trusted assistant to a magician, incidentally, is a famulus.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505949 of 528028
affine : An in-law, or any relative whom through mere marriage you have acquired, earned, valued or put up with. Announcing that your affines are coming this weekend will impress other people that you're expecting an important delivery.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505950 of 528028
bête noire : That particular dreaded or detested or feared person (literally, "black beast") to be at all costs avoided, to whom one is perversely averse. An old rival? An aggravating pest? An ex-husband? Whichever, your bugbear and pet hate as a human or subhuman being.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505951 of 528028
brockie : Anybody with a dirty face (and a word borrowed truly from the barnyard, where it means a cow with a black-and-white face). Brockies include smudged people working on the undersides of cars, housewives on cleaning day, gardeners on rainy days, and children left to themselves for more than a half-hour.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505952 of 528028
cnidophobe : The person whose grand terror is of being stung, as by a bee or a wasp. Picnicking or summer-strolling cnidophobes tend to overreact to airborne insects, jumping up at the sound of a distant, droning airplane or swinging wildly at a stray dogwood petal that grazes the cheek. More specifically, one who fears bees is an apiphobe or melissophobe, and the fearer of wasps is a spheksophobe. All cnidophobes have their ears cocked for bombination (buzzing or droning).

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505953 of 528028
cynophobe : The dog-fearer or hater, and not just the mailman and milkman. The avoider of canines knows that their bite is even worse than their bark, not to mention the shedding and drool of certain breeds, the yelping and neuroses of certain other breeds, and the big or small do made on sidewalks by all breeds. To say nothing of the cold sweat induced by the sight of a Doberman or German shepherd or the ineffable odor of a heavily rained-on dog.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505954 of 528028
mattoid : Nobody is ever partly pregnant, but what about being semi-insane? If you know an unhinged genius, borderline psychopath, quirky monomaniac, extreme eccentric, deranged philosopher or restless crank, you know a mattoid. The mattoid is not quite around the bend but always has the turn signal switched on. From an Italian word for "insane".

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505955 of 528028
misodoctakleidist : The piano student who just hates to practice. How many millions of misodoctakleidists have suffered from their key aversions? How many, hard-pedaled by parents into learning the piano, have felt that sitting down to practice octaves and études is like pulling a chair up to a meal of cold dominoes and graph paper? Practice makes perfect, and makes misodoctakleidists, too.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505956 of 528028
misopedist : The hater of children. When the baby is trundled out to coo, the misopedist sees not an infant but a stubby little flesh-coloured homonculus (grotesque little creature). He or she does not enjoy passing school-yards, visiting couples who have a brood of brats, or answering the door on Halloween. To paraphrase W. C. Fields: "Anybody who is a misopedist and a cynophobe can't be all bad."

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505957 of 528028
nebbish : A haplessly, sadly unfortunate and innocuous being, kind of a cross between a poor soul and a sad sack. Along with schlemiel and schlimazl (and the similar Yiddish words schlump, zhlub, schnook, schmendrick, schmo, nayfish, yutz ...), a jerk. As Leo Rosten explains, the schlemiel trips and knocks down the schlimazl, and the nebbish repairs the schlimazl's glasses.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505958 of 528028
philargyist : One who loves money, or who is nummamorous or lucrepitous. Estimates vary, but there is general agreement that the portion of our planet not covered by water or ice is covered largely by philargyists. Philargyists are otherwise known as mammonists, chrematists, philoplutaries, aphnologists and plutolators. The money lover who is driven by a fear of poverty is a peniaphobe.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505959 of 528028
philocynic : A dog lover. The world is pretty much divided into philocynics and ailurophiles, the kitty lovers. A dog keeper, especially someone who looks after greyhounds, is called a fewterer.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505960 of 528028
Subject: Re: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/6/2013 1:36 PM
phaneromaniac : The picky person - picking compulsively at scabs or pimples or ears, scratching the scalp, or fingernailing possible wildlife on his or her own person. Most people do not enjoy watching skin-frisking phaneromaniacs in action, never knowing, or wanting to, what they'll come up with in their nervous self-scavanging.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505961 of 528028
pococurante : The incredibly indifferent, careless or nonchalant person, a rolling stone who is less devil-may-care than never-may-care. (The word, from Italian, means "caring little"). The pococurante is gallionic - interested in little, bored with much and fazed by nothing - and might be considered cool if he or she weren't so uninteresting and aimless. Also known as a Laodicean, a word derived from an ancient Phrygian city noted for its lukewarm inhabitants. When two pococurantes get together to argue, they have a shrugfest.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505962 of 528028
sinistral : A left-handed person, or one who is afflicted with what is very infrequently known as mancinism (as opposed to dexterity, which means right-handedness). "Sinistral" could well be a word, like "mistral", for a mean wind, and indeed major-league managers look annually for hard-throwing sinistrals to add to the bullpen. Another word for sinistral is kitthougue. A person who is clumsy with both hands is ambisinister. A sleight-of-hand artist, or prestidigitator, is a chirosophist.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505963 of 528028
Ucalegon : A Ucalegon is a neighbour whose house is on fire. It seems impossible that there should be a word for this, but here you are (courtesy of Trojan legend, in which Ucalegon was an unfortunate, burned-out neighbour of Aeneas). An extremely rare word, though one should not be burning to have a chance to use it. A mere neighbour, whose house may or may not be in flames, is an accolent.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505964 of 528028
xanthoderm : A yellow-skinned person, or a lutescent (yellowish) individual whose race is Oriental. This is not a euphonious word, but then (not to be too jaundiced) neither are some for people whose hue is black (a melano or melanoderm), white (a leucoderm) or red (the aithochroi). Caucasians who have pale skin and dark hair are melanochroi.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505965 of 528028
scrod : a young fish (as a cod or haddock); especially : one split and boned for cooking

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505966 of 528028
Ballistophobia: Fear of bullets.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505967 of 528028
Otophobia: Fear of opening one's eyes.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505968 of 528028
Peccatophobia: Fear of sinning.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505969 of 528028
Taphephobia: Fear of being buried alive.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505970 of 528028
Subject: Re: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/6/2013 1:37 PM
Sitophoba: Fear of food. Dread of eating.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505971 of 528028
Trichophobia: Fear of hair.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505972 of 528028
Vestiphobia: Fear of clothing.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505973 of 528028
scobberlotch: to loaf around, doing nothing in particular

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505974 of 528028
dudder: to deafen with noise

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505975 of 528028
omphaloskepsis: contemplation of one's navel as an aid to meditation

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505976 of 528028
leechdom: archaic word for the craft of medicine

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505977 of 528028
gloze: (v.) fawn ; glout: (v.) frown or scowl

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505978 of 528028
alexipharmacon: an antidote for poison

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505979 of 528028
paronomasia: a form of pun ; more generally, any word-play

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505980 of 528028
paronomania: an obsessive interest in word games ; a clinical obsession with word games

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505981 of 528028
mulct n. fine imposed for an offence. ; v.t. to fine a person (in an amount); also, to obtain by fraud, duress or theft.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505982 of 528028
parasang n. ancient-Persian measure of length, about 3¼ miles [5.2 km]

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505983 of 528028
punkah (n.) portable fan usually of leaf or palmyra; large swinging cloth fan on frame worked by cord or electrically. From Hindi

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505984 of 528028
commensal adj. & n. (one) who eats at the same table; (animal or plant) living harmlessly with or in another and thus obtaining food

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505985 of 528028
fid n. a tapered usually wooden pin used in opening the strands of a rope

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505986 of 528028
chatoyant adj. Having a changeable luster or color with an undulating narrow band of white light [Etymology: from the French present participle of chatoyer to shine like a cat's eyes]

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505987 of 528028
enology / oenology n. the science of wine and wine-making.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505988 of 528028
Subject: Re: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/6/2013 1:44 PM
swinge v.tr. (archaic) To punish with blows; thrash; beat.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505989 of 528028
carnyx adj. an ancient Celtic or Pictish war horn

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505990 of 528028
usquebae n. Earlier form of the word whisky.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505991 of 528028
macadamise v. to construct or finish (a road) by compacting into a solid mass a layer of small broken stone on a convex well-drained roadbed and using a binder

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505992 of 528028
nares n. the pair of openings of the nose or nasal cavity of a vertebrate

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505993 of 528028
persiflage n. Light good-natured talk; banter; light or frivolous manner of discussing a subject.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505994 of 528028
Subject: Re: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/6/2013 1:45 PM
glaucous adj. light bluish green or greenish blue.

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505995 of 528028
girn v. intr. (Scots and northern English dialect) 1. to grimace; to pull grotesque faces

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505996 of 528028
I have run out of words

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505997 of 528028
But i must be nearly there

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505998 of 528028
Just a few more

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505999 of 528028
Is it?

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 506000 of 528028
Or have i missed?

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 506001 of 528028
Subject: Re: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/6/2013 1:48 PM
Recommendations: 3
Phew
The sound you make after posting run!

e

Author: MrsEPeel Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 506002 of 528028
Subject: Re: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/6/2013 2:19 PM
Recommendations: 5
You nabbed it! Congrats!
Emma

Author: janny0 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 506003 of 528028
Subject: Re: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/6/2013 3:37 PM
Or have i missed?

Not missed.
Congrats!
jo
ps wondered what you were up to while I had my feet up

Author: Ezlington Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 506005 of 528028
Subject: Re: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/6/2013 5:18 PM
Recommendations: 5
Or have i missed?

Spot on!

well done!

Author: codetyke Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 506008 of 528028
Subject: Re: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/6/2013 7:02 PM
Congrats!

Up into 5th on your own!
http://www.britishinvasion.co.uk/milestones/lmmain.php

codey

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 506010 of 528028
Subject: Re: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/7/2013 1:27 AM
You misseth not.

Author: Ezlington Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 506016 of 528028
Subject: Re: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/7/2013 6:19 AM
Good to see the records kept up!

€z

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 506020 of 528028
Subject: Re: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/7/2013 6:59 AM
I think you just made that up.

AC *you're just a snotty-gobble*

Oh no i didn't!

e*and you are a snibbling snotty-gobble so there :-P*

Author: tisonlyme Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 506021 of 528028
Subject: Re: Curious Words and Phrases Date: 2/7/2013 7:00 AM
Thanks everybody and Ta for the rec's

e

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (64) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement