Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: HitAnyKey42 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120789  
Subject: Current 401k funds to IRA possible? Date: 3/26/2012 1:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I tried to scroll through the most rec'd posts to see if I could find anything on this topic if it has already been addressed, but since I couldn't I guess I'll ask it myself.

I saw somewhere and then did some Googling that it is theoretically possible to rollover funds from a current active employer 401k into an IRA. It is not something I had even considered as a possibility, and for me it most likely isn't, but I'd like to get some input on it anyway. I'll actually call Wells Fargo later too, but figured it'd be easier to start with some TMF input. :)

I'm only 36, and I currently have a sizable amount in my company's 401k. I've been with the same company for 13 years now, so I don't have a "former employer 401k".
Now that I've gotten myself started in stocks with joining MDP, and contemplating the new SN, I need funds to truly make decent portfolios in them. And with my current available cash and future monthly available for ongoing contributions for investing, it most likely won't be cost effective to be part of both services.
But if I can somehow transfer most (if not all) of the current balance of my 401k into an IRA, then I would be able to manage the balance myself with my own chosen stocks. And I won't be dependent on the few choices within the 401k, of which I am getting very little return from.
The 401k would therefore remain open & active for my ongoing payroll contributions, but any amount of the balance that is currently in there that I can transfer to an IRA would be extremely beneficial to me.

But, is there ANY options available to someone like me to be able to do this? If it's even possible, what are the various types of penalties or other such things I might have to deal with? As long as the penalties are small enough for me, it may be worth it in order to get the money into an account where I have full control over which stocks it is invested in by following my chosen TMF portfolio plan.

-HAK-
Truly hoping that there is actually away to get a good chunk of his 401k into an IRA (either Roth or Traditional) for following a TMF portfolio.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement