No. of Recommendations: 1

What are the rules on investing in IRA's and/or Roth IRA's while contributing to a 401(k)?
The official rules, including deductibility, contribution limits, and elegibility are complicated and are best found in pretty straightforward English in IRS publication 590. See

Can I do both?
Probably. If you can contribute to a 401(k), you almost certainly have earned (salary) income, which you need in order to contribute to an IRA. How much you can contribute, whether you can deduct that contribution, and to which type(s) of IRA(s) you can contribute depends on such things as your age, your AGI (adjusted gross income), your earned income, your tax filing status and whether or not you're elegible to participate in a 401(k) or other qualified retirement program. IRS publication 590 has all the official details.

Best of luck to you.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.