Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My best friend's son is going through a nasty divorce. The wife has taken the 2 children and has moved in with her mother. She made less than 20K last year, he about 90K. She volunteered to do their taxes but when he took her his W-2 on Friday she announced that she had already filed "married, filing separately" and had claimed the children.

He pays more than half of their support. What should be his next step? File his taxes and claim the children himself? File and pay a huge amount of taxes? Ask for an extension?--

It may be going to court in early May.

She may have even gotten some sort of earned income credit. I don't think she'd voluntarily do an amended return at this stage of the game.

I know this probably isn't the board, but it's the one I see regularly and I know you guys know where this should be posted. Thank you for this.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.