Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Prior thread mentioned using a 4" cutoff to slice off a little 1/4" bolt... I
ve bought a new air cutoff tool, maybe HD or Lowes, not impressed, it bogs down on the slightest load, and that with 100 psi behind it...

Is there a stronger brand? One that really works? Air tools generally are good, but I'm not happy with this one... An angle grinder has a ton of power, would work better, but the air tool should work, I see them on some of the 4x4 shows, they seem to have lots of power, but I can't tell the brand...
Print the post Back To Top
Ingersoll Rand comes to mind, as a brand, but, with air tools, it is, sometimes, hard to tell until you try it or see it demoed.
http://www.sears.com/ingersoll-rand-cut-off-tool/p-009811040...

Dotco is probably one of the best brands of air tools available, but you will pay dearly for them.
No. of Recommendations: 1
An angle grinder has a ton of power, would work better, but the air tool should work, I see them on some of the 4x4 shows, they seem to have lots of power, but I can't tell the brand...

Weco, those air tools need great gobs of high pressure air. Your small portable compressor for nail guns and such doesn't have the capacity to drive those tools at speed for longer than a few seconds. A garage or shop is going to have a large compressor with a huge reservoir. The larger the reservoir, the better with motorized air tools.

Richard
No. of Recommendations: 1
Weco, those air tools need great gobs of high pressure air. Your small portable compressor for nail guns and such doesn't have the capacity to drive those tools at speed for longer than a few seconds. A garage or shop is going to have a large compressor with a huge reservoir. The larger the reservoir, the better with motorized air tools.

Heh, volume is there, the garage compressor is a nice CAT air-start compressor with a big GE 2 PP motor hat just purrs along, maintains pretty high volume, works fine for impacts, air chisels... It's piped around the garage with 3/4" piping, outlets...

Shop has a couple options, the twin tank Emglo, or the main one is one I built maybe 20 years ago after visiting the local Ingersol sales guys, looking for a used unit. He led me back to their boneyard, I snagged a 2 cyl Champion unit, replaced it's reed valves, it holds it's own on a 2 gall tank, driven by a dual belted 2 Hp motor... "Just don't come to us for parts!" he said, but gave me a Sacramento Champion distributor's info, so while I had it apart, checked out what was needed.. There was some bigger 3 cyl ones I could have gotten, but they would have needed too big a motor.. 1725 rpm, low speed, high torque...

There's a little Craftsman oilless in the shed, but I wouldn't expect it to keep up..

There's a brand new SpeedAir 2 cyl compressor in the box, in case the Champion ever fails, too good a price to pass up.. ($20) Could build another, but not really needed...

Air, plenty... Need a more better tool!

weco
>i>Ingersoll Rand comes to mind, as a brand, but, with air tools, it is, sometimes, hard to tell until you try it or see it demoed.
http://www.sears.com/ingersoll-rand-cut-off-tool/p-009811040......

Dotco is probably one of the best brands of air tools available, but you will pay dearly for them.

Hmm, Sears? We have a local OSH/Sears, they might have those.. But not a way to demo it, maybe check return policies... I lost the reciept or the one I did buy or it would have gone back, plus, busy with the project, it got forgotten, think it's still in the box, tho..

Dotco... Yes, under $1k... Tough to justify,,,

Grainger has the whole range...
http://www.grainger.com/search?gclid=COOz-e3irbsCFQuUfgodpwQ...

Making the Ingersol look better all the time! Maybe drop a note to the Extreme 4X4 TV show, see what they actually use.. Likely a high end too;...

Like a lot of things, you get what you pay for... But maybe there's refurbs..

No real need at the moment, but good to tuck the info away...

Thanks all!

weco
All of my air tools are either Campbell Hausfeld or a brand that i'm pretty sure is and Ingersol Rand off-brand. I think it is called Farmall or Farmhand,or something like that, but I cant find it on the internet. I use the cutoff tool more than any other air tool and have never had a problem with it. I don't think I paid more than 40 dollars for it. I've also used it for about 7 years now. I bought it from Tractor Supply, but even their website is not showing it.
All of my air tools are either Campbell Hausfeld or a brand that i'm pretty sure is and Ingersol Rand off-brand. I think it is called Farmall or Farmhand,or something like that, but I cant find it on the internet. I use the cutoff tool more than any other air tool and have never had a problem with it. I don't think I paid more than 40 dollars for it. I've also used it for about 7 years now. I bought it from Tractor Supply, but even their website is not showing it.

Interesting... Thank you... Tractor Supply just this year opened a store here, shelves still a little sparse, but I'll drop by... The location had been a local chain, YardBirds, then Home Depot bought them out, closed this one, so it was good to see Tractor Supply move in... Nice variety, interesting farm items not seen elsewhere... Lots of Carhartt clothes!

weco
Looked yesterday. It is Farmhand brand.
Advertisement