UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883921  
Subject: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/7/2013 9:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
OK, so you can't stand to miss Bravo's The Real Housewives of Atlanta or those great documentaries on The History Channel (we admire your eclectic tastes), but are those steep cable bills making you want to pull out your hair along with the cable wires?

Take a deep breath. The era of digitized content is ushering in a new wave of cost-saving viewing: From streaming-video websites to digital media providers, these alternatives to cable TV might prompt you to chuck the cable box for good.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/02/22/savings-experiment-cu...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871440 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/7/2013 9:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I got rid of cable 4 years ago and have never looked back. I stream things through Netflix and Apple TV, and also use DramaFever for K-drama.

There's nothing I miss that I cannot get - but I am not a big sports fan, so that's not a consideration for me.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871443 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/7/2013 10:45 AM
Recommendations: 1
I've had issues with Verizon FIOS On-Demand movies - if it's a new movie that just came out this week and it's Saturday night around 8pm, very often either the system can't confirm the order, or if the movie does start a lot of times within the first hour the connection is lost and it can take 1/2 hour or more to get back access to the movie. Since it's always Saturday nights with new movies, that makes me think they're not able to handle heavy demand.

Which makes me wonder how great would streaming actually be if more people cut cable and streaming demand went up?

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871451 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/7/2013 12:01 PM
I have Fios, live in a high density area and am able to access on-demand movies on Saturday nights with no problem. A few times we've encountered a glitch but we just keep trying and after a minute or two the movie we load up.

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871456 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/7/2013 12:49 PM
I got rid of cable 4 years ago and have never looked back.

I got rid of it a couple years ago I think. The only thing I missed were sports and the tv shows that Netflix doesn't have the rights to (usually I watch these things on my laptop). And cooking shows!

Most of those problems were solved by getting an on air antenna and buying the occasional shows on DVD.

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871458 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/7/2013 12:51 PM
I have HULU PLUS too but I use it more as a DVR than anything else. Most of the cable shows aren't allowed to stream on mobile devices. If I don't feel like watching Castle whenever it comes on I'll just watch it later.

Amazon also has an instant video service. I haven't signed up but I did buy the fifth season of Leverage on it.

Netflix is still the best right now, IMO.

Author: Sadiekillmouski Big red star, 1000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871462 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/7/2013 3:33 PM
I chose to just get rid of the television. When they changed the signals, or the frequency, or whatever changed, my set was too old to accept the free converter box. So I took it out into the backyard, shot it, and gave it a decent and honorable burial. Have a portable DVD player and Netflix, and since Chicago has a two or three day turnaround on Netflix discs, I manage to keep myself amused.

Sadie Killmouski

Author: MegHammond Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871477 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/8/2013 11:28 AM
Gingko,

Which KDramas are you currently watching?

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871504 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/9/2013 2:17 AM
Meg: I am watching Queen Seon Deok on dvd at the moment - my parents brought it with them when they came for the winter visit. It's AWESOME. It's by the same writer who did Dae Jang Geum (my all time favorite), and based (loosely) on real historical figures. Queen Seon Deok was the first queen of Sila (one of the 3 provinces united to form Korea).

As with DJG the first two episodes are kind of "mehhh" while it establishes back story and motivation, and then by episode 3 (of 64), it's off to the races with plotting, back-stabbing, melodrama and wu xiu martial arts aplenty. I am not getting much else done, as I am watching it all the time!

Author: MegHammond Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871507 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/9/2013 9:21 AM
I am not getting much else done, as I am watching it all the time!

That was my experience with GQS as well. The first one I watched was Jewel in the Palace. Wait til you get to "the Lobbyist". I found it provoked a lot of new thinking about the US security umbrella.

I also really liked Rebirth - Next, a moving story about 4 people who are reincarnated together over and over.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871508 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/9/2013 9:44 AM
The first one I watched was Jewel in the Palace
This is Dae Jang Geum - my favorite! It was amazing.

My parents recommend "Be Strong Geum Soon," and "Surgeon Bong."

Thanks for the recommendations - I'm kind of a newbie, having been mostly a Bollywood devotee the past decade.

Author: MegHammond Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871515 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/9/2013 11:33 AM
I finished Dae Jang Geum and thought to myself "Lookout Shakespeare, here is some serious competition!"

I really enjoy the Kdramas, especially the historical ones, for the way they explore the uses of power (good and bad) and the impact a single individual can have, or an idea. Great stuff.

Let me know if you want more recommendations. I've watched a lot of these, including some I couldn't finish because the story line just got too painful to watch (Bridal Mask, set against the Japanese occupation of Korea.)

The blog Dramabeans does critiques and summaries of many kdramas as well as offering context for some of the details non-Koreans would not get.

Author: JimP102 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871523 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/10/2013 3:25 AM
For those of you that have cut the cord completely, what do you use as an ISP?

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871528 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/10/2013 6:02 PM
<<For those of you that have cut the cord completely, what do you use as an ISP?

>>

I cut that cord at the same time, 2+ months ago.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871529 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/10/2013 6:08 PM
Recommendations: 2
I cut that cord at the same time, 2+ months ago.

What SP didn't say is that he is dealing with sickly people at the public library.

Author: Sadiekillmouski Big red star, 1000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871531 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/10/2013 8:25 PM
...what do you use as an ISP?

AOL...phones I have, just no television.

Sadie Killmouski

Author: squirmyworm Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871532 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/10/2013 9:30 PM
I had limited basic cable six or seven years ago which was super cheap but didn't give me any channels I liked. I'm thinking about getting cable back and I'm considering going digital this time around. I like golf, and I'm tired of missing the Masters and tracking scores online. My mom may also be visiting in a few months and I don't want her to get bored while I'm at work. I'm actually looking forward to cable since I live alone and it helps fill the house with noise in a way that dvds and hulu can't.

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871541 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/11/2013 8:54 AM
I'm actually looking forward to cable since I live alone and it helps fill the house with noise in a way that dvds and hulu can't.

Do you have an antenna? If you are just missing channel flipping and random stuff + commercials, that works well for me.

Have any of the netflix people watched house of cards yet? I watched the first episode this week and they seem to really be going for an HBO kind of model, except through streaming, which I'm finding really interesting. I hope it takes off.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871546 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/11/2013 9:45 AM
I LOVED the original BBC House of Cards, which was truly excellent. I'm going to be watching the new American version as soon as I emerge from my K-Drama marathon.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871574 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/11/2013 5:15 PM
<< I live alone and it helps fill the house with noise in a way that dvds and hulu can't.
>>

That's true. It's one of the reasons I ripped out cable and internet a couple of months ago.

When I was working irregular hours, I got cable because I could get something entertaining pretty much whenever I had spare time to waste.

However, after being retired, chowing down on cable was absorbing too much time.

Sometimes more is more, and sometimes more is less...

Seattle Pioneer

Author: cgrinder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871746 of 883921
Subject: Re: Cutting the Cord on Cable TV Date: 2/17/2013 9:42 PM
i thought of cutting dish network and my isp. i have a droid with 4g and i could get a laptop and either use free wifi or set up a hotspot with my phone. so far i have done neither

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement