No. of Recommendations: 1
D.

May I also suggest a couple of books that might help? I've read both, and found them invaluable. They are:

Mutual Funds for Dummies
and
Personal Finance for Dummies

Both are by Eric Tyson.

Yes I will simply call them myself and drag all the information I can out of them.

I would suggest that you learn as much as you can before you talk to them about annuities. Be very careful talking to them. Remember...they are salespeople. The only one who truly has yours, and your mom's, best interest at heart is YOU!

And if no one has said it before, I will...only I will make it more generic. I'm not going to say that MetLife is stealing...I've never really worked with them...I will just say, and this is just a personal opinion from personal experience (and my mom's experience...and my husband's experience) that there are a lot of brokers (and insurance people) who are crooks. They could care less about your financial situation as long as they turn a buck.

This is why I am recommending this reading, and recommending that you learn everything you can about everything that they're going to tell you, so that you can make an informed decision as to whether they are telling you this for your own good or not. My bet is that they are not.

And you're doing the right thing by coming to this board, but yes...the more specific you can be about your financial situation...investment timeline...asset allocation needs, etc., the more information you will get from the people posting on these boards. The only reason that I didn't post more before is because I didn't have the time, (I'm running low on it these days.)

But I will state again, that you will find a lot of people on these boards who favor opening up a retirement account directly with a mutual fund company selling no-load, low expense ratio, funds. That's why I suggested Vanguard and TIAA-CREF. Both are excellent companies with good funds. Vanguard has a much larger selection of funds...TIAA-CREF caters to the small investor.

Also, if you haven't already, you might want to check out the "Index Funds" board. It's pretty active, and has some great information.

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=15266838&bid=100111

Good Luck,
Caat
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement