Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 1Vagabond One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19221  
Subject: Re: Alaska via Motorcycle Date: 1/5/2001 1:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
D O I T

Plan and then just do it. I made the trip in '94. It was great and even better then I expected. I was gone about 26 days and 10000 miles. This was from Omaha, NE. Depending on where you are at in the country you can adjust your schedule accordingly. When I got to Dawson Creek, BC, the start of the Alaska Highway, I was just over half way to Fairbanks, AK and 2000 miles north. I spent one night in a motel in North Dakota because of heavy rain and couldn't find a dry place to pitch my tent and one miserable night on the ferry from Hains, AK to Prince Rupert, BC. My miserable night on the ferry was because I was too cheap to get a cabin for the 18-hour trip but I wouldn't do that again.

The roads were much better then I had expected. Lots of fun for a motorcycle but could be a nightmare for a RV. There will be road construction, which could make riding slick and miserable, but there are ends to construction zones. Gas was readily available. When my tank showed half, I would start to look for indications that gas would be available within 50 miles. This gave me some margin for error.

Don't be afraid to ride the gravel roads. Just take it easy and ride where the gravel isn't. There are some interesting places to visit on the gravel. Dawson, Yukon where the gold rush headed. Then you see the giant dredging machines that were used in getting the gold from the creeks. You must marvel at the large pieces and parts that were transported from California, up the Yukon River to Dawson and then overland to where they would build the dredge. If you make it to Dawson you take the ferry across the Yukon River, then over the Top of the World Highway and into Alaska. Don't forget to visit Chicken, AK at least have a piece of pie in their restaurant.

Two thing that I wish now that I had done. One is to take the Dalton Highway from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay to see the start of the Alaska Pipeline and to see the Arctic Ocean and to cross the Arctic Circle. Second I wished I had more time two more weeks would have been nice but four would be better. Time is your enemy.

I caught the Alaska Ferry in Hains, AK and took it to Prince Rupert, BC. As I recall it was about 16 to 18 hours. I boarded about 10 or 11 PM and arrived in Prince Rupert about mid-afternoon. At that time of year there is only about an hour or so of darkness. The coast is beautiful but I still needed to get some sleep. Pay the extra dollars to get a cabin if you have an overnight trip.

I know of some local people that have done the trip in two weeks but I wouldn't even start if I didn't have three-week minimum. Start with new tires or very low miles (less then 1000 miles). Keep the shinny side up and have fun. I would like to do the trip again but now I have different goals, which includes sailing my own boat up the inside passage to Alaska.

Good Luck and D O I T
Vagabond
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement