UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 745940  
Subject: Dad and me Date: 2/8/2013 10:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
There was a storm a'brewin' here in mid-MI last night. I stopped by to check in on Dad. Mom is in OK taking an extended vacation with my sister.

Lo and behold, guess who I found lying on the floor? Yup, that would be Dad. He estimates that he was on the floor for a couple of hours already. He was so weak that he couldn't even boost himself up to crawl back into bed.

I offered to call an ambulance, but that got met with angry resistance. I think he fears that he may never come home again if he leaves like that. Anyway, after about 5-6 hours of this, he finally agreed to go to the hospital. I got home this morning at 1:30.

I just got off the phone with the social worker. I told her that if I cannot handle him, how is my mother going to do so when she's actually five months older than he is? She agreed that he cannot come home like this.

So now I wait to see what the powers-that-be come up with. I suspect that he'll get another stint in rehab trying to build him back up enough for self-care at home. I was told that he has to be in the hospital three days to be eligible for that. So I guess Monday he'll enter rehab.

We've been down this rehab road before. My Dad has just given up on life. He sleeps 16-20 hours a day. This week I took him to the pharmacy and to a doctor's appt, and that was enough to tucker him out for an all day nap.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 670684 of 745940
Subject: Re: Dad and me Date: 2/8/2013 10:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I think I'm gonna do an "Art" and catch a mid-day snooze. I'll work on my resume later. Somewhere in TN I think Art is proud to know that he's had such a profound effect on me <g>.

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 670707 of 745940
Subject: Re: Dad and me Date: 2/8/2013 12:34 PM
Recommendations: 0
Lo and behold, guess who I found lying on the floor? Yup, that would be Dad. He estimates that he was on the floor for a couple of hours already. He was so weak that he couldn't even boost himself up to crawl back into bed.

I offered to call an ambulance, but that got met with angry resistance. I think he fears that he may never come home again if he leaves like that. Anyway, after about 5-6 hours of this, he finally agreed to go to the hospital. I got home this morning at 1:30.

I just got off the phone with the social worker. I told her that if I cannot handle him, how is my mother going to do so when she's actually five months older than he is? She agreed that he cannot come home like this.

So now I wait to see what the powers-that-be come up with. I suspect that he'll get another stint in rehab trying to build him back up enough for self-care at home. I was told that he has to be in the hospital three days to be eligible for that. So I guess Monday he'll enter rehab.

We've been down this rehab road before. My Dad has just given up on life. He sleeps 16-20 hours a day. This week I took him to the pharmacy and to a doctor's appt, and that was enough to tucker him out for an all day nap.

wolverine

Man, I feel for you. I know all about finding decrepit elderly parents lying on floors. My father died in 2004 and he spent his share of time on floors before he passed away.

Good luck,

Mike

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 670732 of 745940
Subject: Re: Dad and me Date: 2/8/2013 1:14 PM
"We've been down this rehab road before. My Dad has just given up on life. He sleeps 16-20 hours a day. This week I took him to the pharmacy and to a doctor's appt, and that was enough to tucker him out for an all day nap." - wolverine

I'm sorry wolverine. I'm afraid your dad will be crossing over soon. That is almost exactly what happened to my wife's father, RD. He got weaker and weaker till he finally couldn't get up out of the chair, take a shower, or even go to the bathroom by himself.

RD went into the hospital to get a pacemaker installed and he picked up C-diff in the hospital and then he went downhill fast. They pumped him full of antibiotics but the C-diff kept coming back. Finally the doctor told Vangie that if they put RD in a nursing home he'd die within a week or two.

RD slept all the time too. While in the hospital he woke up and said (while pointing at all the tubes sticking out of him) "if you'll just shoot that vine there it will all be over soon. I don't know how I know it but I know it's true." Then he fell back asleep.

One time when he woke up in the hospital his son asked him "are you hurting?" and RD shook his head "no." Then his son asked him, "are you afraid?" and RD again shook his head "No."

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 670734 of 745940
Subject: Re: Dad and me Date: 2/8/2013 1:17 PM
Recommendations: 2
"I think I'm gonna do an "Art" and catch a mid-day snooze. I'll work on my resume later. Somewhere in TN I think Art is proud to know that he's had such a profound effect on me <g>." - wolverine

Just got back in from the kitchen. I made a big mess of spaghetti sauce using a big #10 can of crushed tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, fresh garlic, oregano, basil, EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), and a little salt. I cooked ground round in a big pan and then added half the sauce to the ground round and left the other half plain for my wife.

I cooked regular spaghetti noodles and made myself a big plate of spaghetti with meat sauce and topped it with grated Parmesan cheese. It was superb.

Art

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 670801 of 745940
Subject: Re: Dad and me Date: 2/8/2013 4:12 PM
Gosh wolvie, that's sad...sad to see your father get weak and tired. He's tuckered out, he may get some energy back from being in the hospital and rehab...I hope he does. Poor man...hang in there wolvie.

My own dad just had a pretty straight path down....once he became paralyzed on one side, that was pretty much it for him. 24 hr nursing care here at home and a very short time in a coma.

in any event, my heart goes out to you and your family wolvie.....it's a sad and upsetting time.

LD

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 670803 of 745940
Subject: Re: Dad and me Date: 2/8/2013 4:16 PM
in any event, my heart goes out to you and your family wolvie.....it's a sad and upsetting time.

Ditto.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 670819 of 745940
Subject: Re: Dad and me Date: 2/8/2013 5:02 PM
My Dad has just given up on life. He sleeps 16-20 hours a day.

Without digging further and not knowing all the history, I would hope that 2 things have been looked into. First, major depression. Second, over medication or medication interactions. Even if his physician has looked into it, sometimes a fresh pair of eyes will see something. Food for thought. Good luck.

JLC

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 670841 of 745940
Subject: Re: Dad and me Date: 2/8/2013 7:29 PM
Just got back in from the kitchen. I made a big mess of spaghetti sauce using a big #10 can of crushed tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, fresh garlic, oregano, basil, EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), and a little salt. I cooked ground round in a big pan and then added half the sauce to the ground round and left the other half plain for my wife.

Art

You're making me hungry.

Mike, 1/2 Italian

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671073 of 745940
Subject: Re: Dad and me Date: 2/10/2013 11:20 PM

I cooked regular spaghetti noodles and made myself a big plate of spaghetti with meat sauce and topped it with grated Parmesan cheese. It was superb.

Art

Today I went to Art of Pizza and had two slices of the "Special" stuffed pizza -- made with sausage, onion, mushrooms, and green peppers. The slices are large and thick, and boy, was I stuffed afterward! $7.49 after tax for two slices.

Art of Pizza got a nice little write-up in Time Out Chicago this week:

http://www.timeoutchicago.com/restaurants-bars/16036511/four...

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671078 of 745940
Subject: Re: Dad and me Date: 2/11/2013 12:22 AM
"Today I went to Art of Pizza and had two slices of the "Special" stuffed pizza -- made with sausage, onion, mushrooms, and green peppers. The slices are large and thick, and boy, was I stuffed afterward! $7.49 after tax for two slices. Art of Pizza got a nice little write-up in Time Out Chicago this week:" - andrew
--------------

This evening I ate three small leftover slices of Red Barron Pepperoni pizza, then microwaved a bowl of Allen's Italian Cut Green Beans with real butter on them, then I cut up and fried a young squirrel and tore the meat off the bones and ate that, and then to top it off I had a bowl of Vanilla Ice Cream with the last 5 maraschino cherries and a little bit of the that sweet red juice on top.

By that point I was feeling a bit guilty for eating so much..... Watched the 2 hour episode of Dowton Abbey tonight. It was pretty good. Next week is the season finale.

I have no willpower at night. None.

Art

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671081 of 745940
Subject: Re: Dad and me Date: 2/11/2013 12:36 AM
Recommendations: 2
This evening I ate three small leftover slices of Red Barron Pepperoni pizza, then microwaved a bowl of Allen's Italian Cut Green Beans with real butter on them, then I cut up and fried a young squirrel and tore the meat off the bones and ate that, and then to top it off I had a bowl of Vanilla Ice Cream with the last 5 maraschino cherries and a little bit of the that sweet red juice on top.

By that point I was feeling a bit guilty for eating so much..... Watched the 2 hour episode of Dowton Abbey tonight. It was pretty good. Next week is the season finale.

I have no willpower at night. None.

Art

Boy, that is a lot of food for one evening! While I was reading that I was thinking, "Whoa... Pace yourself, man, you can save some of that for tomorrow." <grin>

I have no willpower at night either, especially after around 10 pm or so. I can do just fine during the day, but at night I want to eat!

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671082 of 745940
Subject: Re: Dad and me Date: 2/11/2013 12:39 AM
BTW, Art, Happy Belated Balloon Day. I always remember yours because it's the same as mine (although I came on the scene a year later).

I also remembered that today was the birthday of an old boss of mine... she turns 60 today.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement