UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: yddeyma Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886579  
Subject: Dairy Delivery Date: 1/5/2013 12:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The food budget post inspired me a little and I need some input.

Several months ago, I started using Vitacost.com (e-mail me if you want to try it, and I can send you a coupon) to get my dry goods delivered. I had been having some skin allergy issues and switching to organic seemed to clear it all up, but organic food was quite pricey at my local grocery store. Vitacost is much cheaper, with the added benefit of being less hassle.

I only have two kids (age 1 and 3) but for some reason getting to and getting through the grocery store is a very daunting task for me.
At any rate, I noticed that once I had my Vitacost subscription my grocery store time was cut in HALF! So I started looking around at local farms and found one that would deliver in season produce. I can do it online too!

So now, I spend about 1/3 of the time in the grocery store, my food bill has gone down, and we are eating healthier! Plus, since I don't go to the store, I don't impulse buy, so we have much less waste.

But here's the thing, I would love to cut out going to the grocery store altogether. The last item I need delivered is dairy (milk, eggs, cheese, yogurt, etc.). I'm not too worried about frozen food, because I won't mind going once a month or so and stocking up on that.

If I could figure out how to get dairy delivered, I'd be in heaven. Does anyone know of national services that deliver dairy? I have looked locally and do not see a thing. Ideas?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870173 of 886579
Subject: Re: Dairy Delivery Date: 1/5/2013 12:30 PM
Recommendations: 0
I think there are some dairy shares here and there, but mostly I would think you'd be better off paying a friend a small fee to pick up & deliver stuff for you.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870175 of 886579
Subject: Re: Dairy Delivery Date: 1/5/2013 12:50 PM
When my kids were young, I had milk delivered from Crescent Ridge Dairy in Southeastern Massachusetts--fresh from their small operation, un-homogenized (cream on top) and in glass bottles so IMO it tasted awesome. They've expanded operations since my day (70s/80s) and contract with dairies far away, even out of state, so who knows if the milk is as good as it was 20, 30 years ago. Milk delivered directly from a dairy is still available in some locales--are you close to dairy farms?

Some grocery stores let you place an online order and drive up to a pick up area (maybe it's uncommon--we have a lot of seniors in my town).

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870176 of 886579
Subject: Re: Dairy Delivery Date: 1/5/2013 1:22 PM
Some grocery stores let you place an online order and drive up to a pick up area (maybe it's uncommon--we have a lot of seniors in my town).

Stop and Shop has a service called Peapod where you can order online and they'll deliver to hour door. (For a price, obviously). There are probably other companies in other areas that will do the same thing. You might also google to see if you can find a local dairy that delivers.

I know there are some groups of people who don't like pasteurized milk, and they have what may or may not be a legal arrangement with small dairies to deliver raw milk.

Nancy

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870177 of 886579
Subject: Re: Dairy Delivery Date: 1/5/2013 2:49 PM
Some grocery stores deliver, and they can deliver frozen food.

Author: yddeyma Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870179 of 886579
Subject: Re: Dairy Delivery Date: 1/5/2013 3:49 PM
We are in a really rural area, with surprisingly no dairies nearby. Even large livestock producers are small. Most farms are either chicken, cotton, corn or tobacco. I will look into the delivery idea, but we only have large chains. No independent or small chains and like I said a really rural area. But thanks for the ideas!

Author: Retrograde Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870180 of 886579
Subject: Re: Dairy Delivery Date: 1/5/2013 9:55 PM
I will look into the delivery idea, but we only have large chains.

Many of the large grocery chains do deliver. Even Walmart does. Have you checked with the large chains? Or are you mainly wanting a local source?

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870182 of 886579
Subject: Re: Dairy Delivery Date: 1/5/2013 11:09 PM
I will look into the delivery idea, but we only have large chains.

Stop & Shop, which I mentioned in my earlier post, is a very large chain in the New England area. That's why they could afford to keep the Peapod system going until it began to pay off.

Nancy

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870185 of 886579
Subject: Re: Dairy Delivery Date: 1/6/2013 9:10 AM
In my experience, Amazon is generally cheaper than Vitacost for food and nutritional supplements.

Author: yddeyma Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870187 of 886579
Subject: Re: Dairy Delivery Date: 1/6/2013 6:20 PM
I'm in the southeast, no Stop and Shop...and Kroger, Winn Dixie, Publix and Walmart do not delivery.

Anyone freeze their milk? How's it come out when you thaw it?

Author: yddeyma Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870188 of 886579
Subject: Re: Dairy Delivery Date: 1/6/2013 6:22 PM
In my experience, Amazon is generally cheaper than Vitacost for food and nutritional supplements.

Huh, that's weird. I didn't check everything, but I checked my most expensive stuff plus the stuff I order pretty regularly and it was all cheaper on Vitacost.

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870189 of 886579
Subject: Re: Dairy Delivery Date: 1/6/2013 6:39 PM
My sister freezes milk all the time; doesn't seem to make any difference to the product after you thaw it out to use it.

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870305 of 886579
Subject: Re: Dairy Delivery Date: 1/9/2013 6:39 PM
You need to shake it well after it thaws, as there will be some separation, but it tastes fine. Decant the milk into smaller bottles, as you have to leave some room for expansion. Butter freezes with no problems. You can freeze yolks and whites for baking (not entire in the shell). There are a couple of easy tricks for it, if you Google it. A lot of cheeses can be frozen too. The softer ones may have some texture loss. Hard cheeses hold up better. We freeze some of our Portuguese cheeses, including certain softer ones. You just have to experiment, as it's a bit hit or miss.

You can get milk in the tetra-paks that don't need refrigeration, but that tends to be pricier.

Laura

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement