Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: w2j2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 337  
Subject: Dakt dives: Date: 11/15/2007 12:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Daktronics Takes a Dive
By Anders Bylund November 15, 2007
Recommendation
It's been about a year since I called large-format display maker Daktronics (Nasdaq: DAKT) the worst stock to own in 2007. As of today, it looks like I hit close to the mark. Daktronics' stock has lost 48% of its value since that article was penned, thanks largely to yesterday's 30% plunge.

The cause: a weak second-quarter report, damaged by "supply chain issues" at a recently built manufacturing plant. Also, high hopes for one NFL stadium deal fell through. The effect: a high-flying stock touches down on solid ground again.

I'm a shareholder these days, having bought in on an earlier dip. Even so, this was a welcome return to reality. Maybe now, people can buy Daktronics stock again and actually hope for a profit down the line.

It's still a small company that takes large orders from a limited customer base. One scoreboard system in the right stadium can make or break a quarter, and the mildly dampening effect of the lower-cost digital billboard segment can't stop the top and bottom lines from bouncing around like happy rabbits on a caffeine-and-sugar kick. And when the company reports these jumps to investors and analysts, the stock price is sure to take a spastic cue from the results. The jump was positive last November, negative in February, skywards again three months ago, and now this. Take a chill pill!

Daktronics isn't the absolute-worst performer year-to-date. Fellow Fool Rick Munarriz picked a worse example in Vonage (NYSE: VG), which has dropped by about 70%. Or take your pick among the homebuilders: Standard Pacific (NYSE: SPF), for one, took an 85% dive. Warner Music Group (NYSE: WMG) continues to miss the digital train, and it's been spanked to the tune of 64%. And so it goes.

But Daktronics has returned to earth in a big way, as it should. It's still a great business, but now you can get a few shares at a reasonable price. Should you buy in at these 52-week lows? Perhaps. I'll keep the shares I bought over the summer, some 18% ago. These guys can and will do better. Just remember not to hop on after one of those happy hops, skips, and jumps.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2007/11/15/daktronics-takes-a-dive.aspx
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement