No. of Recommendations: 2
Earlier I outlined my impression of the bankruptcy process with regards to Delphi here
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23640832

I believe we'll get some first hand viewing of it, and consequent shareholder rape, with Dana. They've restated their earnings December 30th and found they were off by 44 million total for all periods. Not too much for a 9 billion dollar revenue company. Sales were up from 2.1 billion to 2.4 billion for the year though. Shares at the beginning of Jan. were about $8. http://dana.mediaroom.com/index.php/press_releases/2034

On January 17th it said it lost nearly 1.3 Billion in "restructuring costs" This mostly was a $918 million valuation allowance charge taken because "Dana believes it is no longer more likely than not that the company will be able to utilize these tax assets." although they point out that "This action does not affect the company's ability to use these tax assets later"

Pretty much the rest of the losses came from "An impairment charge to reduce the book value of certain assets of these businesses of $275 million after tax was recorded in the third quarter."
http://dana.mediaroom.com/index.php/press_releases/2038

Shares dropped to about $4 after these accounting actions. Note that they have nothing to do with material, energy, labor, or healthcare costs, cash flow, Sales, or market share.

Dana announced today they will hire Miller Buckfire & Co. a New York restructuring firm and shares dropped by half to $1.51.

Step 1 and 2 are nearly done. They just need to name their multi million dollar posterboy and have him trot out some "Millerisms"

I predict they will blame high labor and "legacy" costs as the culprits, along with market share, energy, and higher material costs as opposed to the paperwork culprits of "valuation and impairment charges" that they used to devalue the company.

They'll have trouble with number 3 as the PBGC is nearing insolvency itself and won't want to accept the obligation unless Dana can pay for it entirely at their reduced 60% benefit rate.

Step 4 is, of course, a lock, as is the outsourcing of more manufacturing jobs (they can get jobs as burger manufacturers).

Step 5 is guaranteed as well!!

Save this post and see how accurate this ends up. I'm hoping I'm completely wrong about everything but...

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement