No. of Recommendations: 1
Dang it. I just noticed who posted this question. I've been following your threads for some time now. I answered on the assumption that you were new at this. Please disregard my answers. You are further along than I thought.

You are juggling numerous delinquent debts and dealing with multiple creditors, right?

You need to take a step back and create a broad based strategy for dealing with all of this. Don't microfocus on each debt until you fit them into your overall recovery plan.

Your overall plan needs to have both offense and defense. On the offence side, you need to improve your cash flow by increasing income and reducing expenses. The LBYM board is good for that.

On the defensive side, you need to deal with all your creditors collectivly. You need to group them by type of debt, prioritize them, and determine what the most you can pay each one. A CCCS can help with this.

Do not make the mistake of robbing Peter to pay Paul. In other words, it makes no sense to give one creditor another creditor's earmarked funds. You will only succeed in getting them mad and driving yourself crazy.

Once you have created your strategy, stick to it, no matter how much one may howl to be first in line. They will try every trick in the book to get you to send them money.

For example. A collector will call you up.
Collector: "Can you send me *ANY* money today?"
You: "No. I have no money to spare."
Collector: "I don't believe you. Did you buy a cup of coffee today?"
You" "Yes".
Collector: "See. You have money. You are lying to me!"

By getting you to answer yes to small things, then can extrapolate that into bigger things. It is the oldest trick in book. Your best defense is not play their games. The odds are stacked against you.

Don't play favorites. If could backfire on you. Hire an attorney to help you. You can tell the creditors to only talk to your attorney who represents you. That gets you one step removed from the collection hounds.

Until you have your strategy in place, ignore all the offers. Good luck.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement