UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10536  
Subject: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/20/2012 12:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Has anyone experience with the Darbee Darblet (http://darbeevision.com/ )?

It is supposedly a visual enhancer and fits between an HDMI source and the TV.

Anyone?

MichaelR
Print the post Back To Top
Author: riprock45 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10046 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/20/2012 12:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Darbee Darblet?

Sounds like something from the Lirpa Loof Lab.

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10047 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/20/2012 1:00 PM
FWIW, there's 22 customer reviews at Amazon.

Ken

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10048 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/20/2012 1:25 PM
No experience or prior knowledge of it. Looks like a hardware system employing video software enhancement filters like contrast and edge sharpening, maybe some saturation tweaks too. I'd be concerned about lag, but maybe it's fast enough.

Richard

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10050 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/20/2012 5:41 PM
No experience or prior knowledge of it. Looks like a hardware system employing video software enhancement filters like contrast and edge sharpening, maybe some saturation tweaks too. I'd be concerned about lag, but maybe it's fast enough.

Richard

I read the article on it in Home Theater magazine and did some research of Internet stuff. It seems to have an algorithm that ‘betters’ the picture through enhancement beyond sharpness and contrast.

My concern is how it interacts with existing TV enhancement circuits such as LD’s XD engine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYbGMzRZkpU

It’s a tad pricy for an experiment.

MichaelR

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10053 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/21/2012 10:24 AM
My concern is how it interacts with existing TV enhancement circuits such as LD’s XD engine

There were some apparently credible positive reviews at Amazon from people with at least some knowledge of video manipulation. There were complaints about build quality and ineffectiveness too. Maybe some sets already incorporate the functions.

It is first generation, and at least one review complained you had to send it back for firmware updates because there is no way to do it on site.

The example screen shots at their site didn't impress me. Looked like an increase in edge sharpening at the expense of realism, but everybody sees differently.

Richard

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10054 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/24/2012 1:38 AM
My hypothesis is the Darbee is a heterodyne circuit (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/heterodyne ) that modifies the HDMI parameters adding in a distinct and separate signal enhancing certain aspects of the signal. I am not sure which parameters are changed by the algorithm other than it supposedly gives better edge enhancement and thus better definition.

Elly says I can buy one as my Christmas present. That I will do and give some feedback here after I have run it through its paces. Either it works or I am stuck with a $360 paperweight.

MichaelR

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10056 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/24/2012 10:07 AM
My hypothesis is the Darbee is a heterodyne circuit

Maybe. In radio, such circuits are used to provide sensitivity and selectivity. But no matter what they do to the signal, the effect is probably more noticeable on lower end sets, so it will be interesting to see how it performs on your gear. If it wows you, or at least gets a passing grade, they really have something.

BTW, a shout out to Major Howard Armstrong, the inventor of the heterodyne and super-heterodyne circuits. Like Tesla, he's largely an unsung electronics hero.

Richard

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10063 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/25/2012 2:53 PM
Recommendations: 2
BTW, a shout out to Major Howard Armstrong, the inventor of the heterodyne and super-heterodyne circuits. Like Tesla, he's largely an unsung electronics hero.

Richard

Mine is Reginald Fessenden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Fessenden ), inventor of continuous wave radio – first words ever transmitted: “Is it snowing where you are, Mr. Theisen?”

It was the end of the spark-gap transmitter/receiver invented by Tesla and later used by Marconi. Radio waves were Hertz’s discovery (tuned cavities) but it was Fessenden that made the circuits allowing continuous wave transmission/reception.

Armstrong defined the radio signal after De Forest made the first amplifying vacuum tube. Armstrong made it possible to define separate frequencies so reception was clearer.

Back in the 1920s when my mother was a young girl she listened, via a crystal radio, a woman singing. For her the world changed at that and it was something she remembered all her life. When I was pre-kindergarten I would sit close to the family’s console Philips and my mother said I was fascinated by radio. All these years later I still am.

Hope all are having a merry Christmas.

MichaelR

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10064 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/25/2012 4:07 PM
Please, let's not discuss De Forest, as I'm unsure how long I could remain civil. He "invented" the first amplifier much like a monkey invents anything; he just stuck some parts together in the hopes of making something patentable. Even years later, after he had been supposedly educated by RCA (he was being used as a weapon in their own litigation), De Forest was unable to describe in court how his own "invention" worked.

Oh dear, I said I wasn't going to discuss him, sorry. Yes, radio was a vast magical world. I fell asleep many nights listening to old radio plays with a transistor radio under the pillow, and later learned tube theory and circuits in the army.

Heartily recommend Ken Burns' Empire of the Air for anyone still reading; I'm sure Michael is already aware.

Richard

Author: richinaz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10065 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/25/2012 6:58 PM

I fell asleep many nights listening to old radio plays with a transistor radio under the pillow

In my case it wasn't old radio plays but was Orioles games mostly (back when they were mostly winning in the late 60s and 70s), and a few talk shows from around the country.

I have to admit I still keep a small AM/FM radio next to my bed to listen to various sports shows late at night. Some habits die hard. I've tried using my iPhone but I don't mind dropping a $10 or less radio, dropping the phone is much more $$$.

Rich

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10066 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/25/2012 8:34 PM
For sure. Just don't drop one of the very collectible ones. You could buy an unsubsidized iPhone with what they are worth.

Richard

Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10067 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/26/2012 7:04 AM
Darbee Darblet?

Sounds like a child actress from the 1930's.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10077 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/27/2012 10:01 PM
Pulled the trigger and ordered the Darbee Darblet visual enhancer. Should get it in a week or so.

Outlay was $350-odd and I will owe taxes and import when it arrives here in Canada. I figure about another $40-50 so the total will be in the region of $400. I’ll have a total on it when I do get to writing about the effect of the unit.

I plan to first run it between the Yamaha Z-11 a/v amp and the 60-in LG plasma using the satellite feed and then Blu-ray. The Yamaha has color correction as does the LG so I wonder how well the Darblet handles signals already massaged. We’ll see.

MichaelR

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10079 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/28/2012 3:08 PM
Recommendations: 7
Darbee Darblet?

Sounds like a child actress from the 1930's.

halco

Darbee Darblet. (b: 1920; d: 1980).

Darbee, born Nancy Higgins, was the second daughter of Fred Higgins, a train oiler, and Gertrude Higgins, a seamstress – who throughout Darbee’s films – designed and produced all of Darbee’s stage clothing.

In 1925 Darbee was entered by her mother in the Little Miss dance contest where she won over the judges with her skillful tap dancing and was offered a role in RKO’s 1926 film Sheik of Aruba where she played the part of an abducted moppet: in the film Darbee wins over the fierce Bedouins with her skillful tap dancing and they give her all they possess.

In 1927 Darbee starred in She’s a Good Sailor where she is captured by Barbary pirates but wins over the fierce pirates with her skillful tap dancing and they give her all they possess.

In the 1929 film Stock Market Anticipation Darbee is taken by evil Wall Street bankers as a slave stock runner but wins over the evil bankers with her skillful tap dancing and they give her all they possess.

Life took a turn for Darbee when she entered puberty early and, while her breasts were bound for the 1933 movie Let’s Dance and Be Happy, it was evident her child star days were ended. As she told Movie Magazine ‘I lost child roles to a pair of 38DD’s.”

Across the next decade Darbee was featured in several films more designed for mature audiences and these included:

She’s a Corker!: Annette, the French maid;
Party!: Francine, the French maid;
Ring in the Good News!: Giselle, the French maid;
Fun! Fun! Fun: Michelle, the French maid; and
Life’s Happy Moments: Lorelei, the French maid.

During the war years Darbee’s career slowed and, due to a two-pack-a-day smoking habit and cream pastries, she gained weight (to 250 lbs.). Her last film. Doctor On Call (1951) Darbee played the part of a large lump covered by a sheet in the morgue scene.

Darbee Darbley died in 1980 of complications following weight-loss surgery. Her ashes were scattered in the Little Miss tournament’s Garden of Stars.

Memorabilia note: a 1928 Darbee Darblet doll (complete with ten dresses and tap shoes) was appraised on The Antiques Road Show at $500.

MichaelR

Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10080 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/28/2012 8:49 PM
Crimeny. I'm, like, psychic or something.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10081 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/28/2012 9:10 PM
Crimeny. I'm, like, psychic or something.

halco

You supplied the hook and I wrote from that. While there is a visual enhancer called The Darbee Darblet there wasn’t a child actress called that. She sprang to life from my keyboard today.

As for the real Darbee Darblet, it comes in about a week and it promises to make my system sooooo much better. I do plan on having a report on it once I’ve put it through its paces.

MichaelR

Author: richinaz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10082 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/29/2012 9:03 AM

due to a two-pack-a-day smoking habit and cream pastries, she gained weight (to 250 lbs.).

Kind of weirdly worded since, if anything, smoking usually aids in people losing weight. Usually people gain weight when they stop smoking. Or did they mean she was eating two packs of cream pastries a day, that would be another story (j/k).

Had never heard of her before.

Thanks,
Rich

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10083 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/29/2012 4:19 PM
due to a two-pack-a-day smoking habit and cream pastries, she gained weight (to 250 lbs.).

Kind of weirdly worded since, if anything, smoking usually aids in people losing weight. Usually people gain weight when they stop smoking. Or did they mean she was eating two packs of cream pastries a day, that would be another story (j/k).

Had never heard of her before.

Thanks,

Rich

Blame friend halco for all this. I bought the Darbee Darblet visual enhancer ( http://darbeevision.com/ ) and halco said the name reminded him of a 1930’s child star. With such an opening I couldn’t resist. So I wrote an entirely made-up biography of ‘Darbee Darblet’, 1920-30’s child star.

Now I wonder how Darbee themselves are going to answer queries about the moppet.

Rich, thank you for the compliment.

MichaelR

Author: RHinCT Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10084 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet Date: 12/29/2012 10:58 PM
Recommendations: 2
I think someone should sneak it onto Wikipedia. 8-)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement