UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10536  
Subject: Darbee Darblet installed Date: 1/10/2013 1:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I have had the Darbee Darblet (http://darbeevision.com/ )video enhancer (here on in “DD’) for the past several days and I have thoroughly – and I mean thoroughly – put it through its paces. Long story short: does it work and is it worth the price? To both yes.

I installed the DD between the main Yamaha a/v amp and the LG 60-in plasma TV. This means all the peripherals feed the amp. That way I could assess the differences between Blu-ray, a separate DVD/VHS player, and satellite feed. In testing I used all feeds. Consensus: the better resolution of the feed the more noticeable the effect.

The DD remote has several settings set by buttons marked (top row) On/Off, More Darbee, Less Darbee, and Menu; the bottom row: Hi-Def, Gaming, Full-Pop, and Demo (that has a split screen setup allowing an A/B comparison).

The effect of the DD is, best word, crispness. Details were more noticeable. Edges were better defined. The picture seemed ‘realer’. On HD channels the dimension of depth was better; on SD not so much. Same with VHS. However, on DVD’s bumped up to 1080p it was excellent.

As a born fiddler I spend the whole first day not seeking best but finding out the effects of over-Darbee. Over-Darbee and the picture is plain awful: over-emphasized edges and edge contrast. My aim was to over do it and reduce to an acceptable picture rather than start at a lower setting and work up. It’s easier that way. That and trying each setting: I finally chose Hi Def at 65 percent Darbee. However, if you do get the unit it’s a given your settings will differ because of differences in ancillary components.

I mentioned this before: Elly doesn’t know the ins and outs of home theater but rapidly gets into content. The noticeable times she doesn’t is when I have made poor-choice changes I was in the middle of readjusting and then she says, “Can you switch it back to where it was before?” Otherwise, nada.

Last night after me fiddling with the DD all afternoon we watched the season opener of Downton Abbey. By then I has the DD set the way I liked it and the picture was crisp and detailed. I was amazed when Elly said, “It’s so much clearer.” First time she’s commented on a change in the system. Usually she says, “It’s nice.”

This afternoon we watched a HD nature channel and, again, Elly said, “Look how good that picture is. Look at that lion’s mane and you can see each hair.”

The one button you will press more than any in the beginning is the on-off switch. With Derbee, without Darbee. Then you leave it on.

One last. I thought the changes the DD makes would be subtle and, in a way, they are. But noticeable. I have not seen our TV with such a good picture and I have spent lots on its calibration.

The DD isn’t cheap. All out counting import duties and provincial tax to British Columbia came to $425 and that’s about the cost of a decent a/v amp. That said, I am pleased with the DD and it’s now a part of the permanent installation.

Questions?

MichaelR
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10119 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet installed Date: 1/10/2013 5:56 AM
Recommendations: 0
Questions?

Will it make "Blonde and Blonder" any better?

Actually, I'm interested. But I don't want the "soap-opera effect". When you say "realer", is that what you mean?

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10120 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet installed Date: 1/10/2013 9:45 AM
Thanks for the report. Your TV is a 60 plasma. You think it would matter that much for smaller sets - 32s or 42s, LCDs, LEDS?

Enjoy your new toy.

Ken

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10121 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet installed Date: 1/10/2013 12:52 PM
Consensus: the better resolution of the feed the more noticeable the effect.

Thanks for the report. I would have expected the opposite. That tells me their algorithms and hardware are truly something new and unique, and not simply doing something better sets already do.

Richard

Author: RHinCT Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10122 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet installed Date: 1/10/2013 1:53 PM
Sounds cool! I did not see any mention of how much it improved a Blue-ray disk. You said the better the feed the better the results, and I would have expected Blue-Ray to be the best feed. (If I'm wrong there I'd appreciate being steered right.)

Thanks!

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10123 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet installed Date: 1/10/2013 3:31 PM
Actually, I'm interested. But I don't want the "soap-opera effect". When you say "realer", is that what you mean?

halco

The DD doesn’t affect frame rate or similar –the TV and amp still process as before. What the DD does is give detail but not that you get with sharpening.

I used the word ‘crispness’ to describe it and, with that increase in detail, the ‘dimension’ increases and the picture is closer to ‘real’.

Thanks for the report. Your TV is a 60 plasma. You think it would matter that much for smaller sets - 32s or 42s, LCDs, LEDS?

Ken

Really don’t know, Ken, since both of my systems have 60-in. sets. I would think there’s improvement with a smaller screen but if it is noticeable it may be affected by distance to the screen and other factors. But maybe not. I would expect some change but how much I don’t know.

Consensus: the better resolution of the feed the more noticeable the effect.

Thanks for the report. I would have expected the opposite. That tells me their algorithms and hardware are truly something new and unique, and not simply doing something better sets already do.

Richard

I was concerned there would be a conflict between the DD and the LG TV’s XD engine but there wasn’t. In fact, no change to any other aspect but the DD’s finer detail. What I may do this weekend is zero out all of the TV’s settings and see the result with DD on and off.

As for on-off that’s what I have been doing: DD on then DD off. Repeat multiple times and note differences. I have done this with moving picture and still. The difference is most noticeable with the DD on. Right now I think I have the settings on the DD a tad high and will reduce the DD effect to see how it works at lower settings.

Sounds cool! I did not see any mention of how much it improved a Blu-ray disk. You said the better the feed the better the results, and I would have expected Blu-Ray to be the best feed. (If I'm wrong there I'd appreciate being steered right.)

RHinCT

I have several HD channels that have minimal compression and I started with those then went to Blu-ray – the effect was startling. Master and Commander was first and the detail enhancement was astonishing as was Over Beautiful British Columbia. The latter is a travelogue of aerial shots of the Province and, again, I was struck by the increase in detail. Also ran AniMusic 2 computer-generated visuals in standard DVD format, and this too was better. Stuff saved on the DVR was also good.

Still fiddling with the settings but it’s more now tweaking the tweak. For that I will more use the Blu-ray on discs I am familiar with.

MichaelR

Author: richinaz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10124 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet installed Date: 1/10/2013 8:04 PM
It seems to get a wide variety of positive and negative reviews.
One reviewer was pretty positive (http://www.hometheater.com/content/darbee-visual-presence-da...) but several of the comments from others were pretty negative.

I'm happy enough with my system so I'll sit this one out.

Rich

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10127 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet installed Date: 1/12/2013 5:19 PM
Recommendations: 2
To round out the installing of the Darbee Darblet: house guests. Consensus: nice picture. I had to turn the DD on and off to prove a point and all said they liked the DD on. One said he liked the enhanced detail and used my word ‘crispness’. So, overall, the unit has had good reception.

One last and it’s anecdotal (as all other accounts): Elly and I watched The Hunger Games (Blu-ray) and after she said her eyes didn’t feel tired (it’s a more than two-hour movie). She has complained in the past about having tired eyes after a long movie.

I couldn’t let this pass and said, ‘Imagine if we had 4K and the prices are starting to come down. Your eyes would love it.”

Now all I have to do is sell a grandkid to pay for it.

MichaelR

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10128 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet installed Date: 1/12/2013 5:48 PM
From a Leo LaPorte TWIT Podcast last week, as he prepared to leave for CES/Vegas, the 4K supply is still apparently tight, more manufacturing issues than they expected so not many are actually out there and still way up there.. Grandkids are safe.

Me, still happy with the Samsungs (46,40), but interesting that it can still be improved, maybe, like my hearing, more than my old eyes can register!

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10129 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet installed Date: 1/12/2013 7:52 PM
From a Leo LaPorte TWIT Podcast last week, as he prepared to leave for CES/Vegas, the 4K supply is still apparently tight, more manufacturing issues than they expected so not many are actually out there and still way up there. Grandkids are safe.

Me, still happy with the Samsungs (46,40), but interesting that it can still be improved, maybe, like my hearing, more than my old eyes can register!

weco

Same thing back when Mitsubishi built the 42-in. CRT. But eventually they discontinued it; a rep told me the major factor was ‘the glass mountain’ behind the factory of faulty picture tubes.

My bet is it’ll take about a year to solve production problems and then the price will drop.

The problem with 4K is not source material (which will come) but the amp supplying that signal. It will have to have a 4K upscaling chipset to convert data coming from cable/satellite, Blu-ray, et al. I note Yamaha has such an amp already and I’m sure others will follow. However, it does mean a new amp – unless the 4K set has upscaling built in.

As for getting old: sigh. My glasses prescription hasn’t changed in the past five years and I still have that bat-like hearing I had when younger but I don’t have the patience I once had. Some movies last past the opening logos but they are decreasing in number and there’s many that I leave on the store’s shelves and they don’t make it to my system.

I am turning into a crotchety old fart.

MichaelR

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10130 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet installed Date: 1/12/2013 9:51 PM
Think back at the weight/mass of those large CRTs... Terrible, BIL gave me a 32" I think it was, Sony, all we had to do was move it.. Almost buckled my knees as we came in the door, then the fun of placing it in the cabinet.. I gave it away as we went to the 46", on the condition they did all the moving.. Over 200# I think, glad it's gone...

I'm still OK for distance, using Doc Edell's for reading fine print.. But we know it's less than it was.. I almost scrimped, got a smaller TV for my office, turns out the 40" is perfect... World of difference from the old 21" crt.. Both Samsung, but the old crt was just too fuzzy to read game scores!

GO NINERS!!

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10131 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet installed Date: 1/12/2013 10:10 PM
Recommendations: 1
Think back at the weight/mass of those large CRTs... Terrible, BIL gave me a 32" I think it was, Sony, all we had to do was move it.. Almost buckled my knees as we came in the door, then the fun of placing it in the cabinet.. I gave it away as we went to the 46", on the condition they did all the moving.. Over 200# I think, glad it's gone...

I'm still OK for distance, using Doc Edell's for reading fine print.. But we know it's less than it was.. I almost scrimped, got a smaller TV for my office, turns out the 40" is perfect... World of difference from the old 21" crt.. Both Samsung, but the old crt was just too fuzzy to read game scores!

GO NINERS!!
weco

The Mits topped out at about 450 lbs. The only TV I’ve had that had a switch to align it with the Earth’s magnetic field. Sold it to our accountant who brought her DH and two other husky young firefighters. Even they puffed getting it down three flights.

Odd thing how I got excited when with the first hi-def set how clear the lettering screen shots was. Still get a thrill from it. I remember the first VHS player I owned and how fuzzy type was. I wasn’t impressed. Now, in glorious 1080p, I am impressed. Put it under the heading of small things impress small minds.

What’s a Niner? One less than a Tenner or slightly better than an Eighter?

MichaelR

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10132 of 10536
Subject: Re: Darbee Darblet installed Date: 1/12/2013 10:28 PM
Niners! San Fran 49'rs! Playoff happening NOW!

Yes, great improvement in text... And I was happy to find that since I have HDTV/DVR on the bigger set, there was no charge for the HD only box for in here.. Else I ws going to have some letterbox issues but no problem...

Local movie theater is all digital projection, big difference from the old days of manual focus, don't care for 3D, but it's capable. It's distracting... I doubt home 3DTV will catch on, other than a novelty...

back to the Game!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement