UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1952  
Subject: Dark skin? Supplement Vitamin D! Date: 10/21/2009 12:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Here is the latest Vitamin D research. If you have dark skin, especially if you live in the northern region, please be aware that you need to supplement Vitamin D even more than lighter skinned people.

Vitamin D is a hormone precursor, not a vitamin, strictly speaking. Vitamin D affects practically every cell in the body. Scientists are beginning to realize that many diseases, including cancer, diabetes and multiple sclerosis, can result from Vitamin D deficiency. The official USDA Recommended Daily Requirement of 400 IU per day is much too low.

http://www.grassrootshealth.net/ is a public service organization set up by researchers from many U.S. and Canadian universities (Canada, being at higher latitude, has even more interest in preventing illnesses that might be related to low light exposure).

http://www.grassrootshealth.net/media/download/garland_vit_d...

http://www.grassrootshealth.net/media/download/disease_incid...

Vitamin D also preserves lung function by inhibiting an enzyme that can damage the lungs.
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/6916/title/Food_f...

Personally, I began taking 1800 IU of Vitamin D daily about 2 years ago, due to the information on cancer prevention. I noticed that I didn't get my usual winter depression (Seasonal Affective Disorder). It is reasonable that Vitamin D is the link between low light and SAD. Imagine how many people treat the symptoms of a vitamin deficiency with antidepressants. I got a blood test that showed my Vitamin D level just within the acceptable range. This winter, I plan to have the test in February, when stored Vitamin D from the summer sunshine would be fully depleted.

Please share the important information about Vitamin D with your friends and family. The USDA is way behind the curve on this issue.

The Black Nurses Association is one of the many organizations backing this information campaign.

Wendy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Sierramoon7 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1935 of 1952
Subject: Re: Dark skin? Supplement Vitamin D! Date: 10/21/2009 12:34 PM
That's interesting! I never thought of that, but most black people don't feel the need to 'lay out' in the sun to tan. All the more reason for us to have a deficiency.

Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1936 of 1952
Subject: Re: Dark skin? Supplement Vitamin D! Date: 10/21/2009 3:48 PM
<most black people don't feel the need to 'lay out' in the sun to tan.>

The sun in Africa is very strong. Most of the UV rays (which can cause cancer) are screened out by melanin, the dark pigment in the skin. Enough gets through to give Africans Vitamin D...if they live under the strong African sun.

The darker the skin, the more effective the screening. Good for skin cancer. Bad for Vitamin D, if the black person lives in an area with weak sun.

Even if a black person "lays out" in the sun to tan, they may still not get enough rays penetrating to make enough Vitamin D. That goes double if they live in, say, Chicago instead of Miami.

I think it's important for each of us to get a blood test for Vitamin D. That's the only way to know whether your particular skin and sun exposure are making adequate Vitamin D. If you are dark, live in the northern states, and don't spend much time in the sun, the answer is probably no. During the winter, the answer is definitely no.

White people at least can build up a reserve of Vitamin D during the summer, if they spend enough time in the sun. Vitamin D is a fat soluble molecule, which is stored in the body for a couple of months. But black people may not have a summer reserve, if the sun in their locality is weak.

Black men have a higher rate of prostate cancer than white men. Nobody seems to know why. Is Vitamin D deficiency the cause?

Vitamin D is very cheap. Costco has 1000 mg pills for 5 cents each. The diseases that correlate with Vitamin D deficiency are devastating. The blood tests are $40 each -- not cheap, but not terribly expensive.

I think it's worth getting a baseline blood test (your current lifestyle). Then take supplements for a while and take another blood test.

I don't follow the African-American press, but I haven't heard this described as a black health issue in the general press. If 10 cents a day per person can significantly improve the health of the whole black population, why isn't everyone talking about it?

Wendy

Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1937 of 1952
Subject: Re: Dark skin? Supplement Vitamin D! Date: 10/21/2009 9:19 PM
I have fair skin and have to take 1600 mg of calcium and vitamin D every day. I had a D deficiency so bad I thought it was Lyme's disease. Whatever scale the doctor was using indicated my level was 18 when it should have been 40.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement