No. of Recommendations: 0
DarkOut, in a great reply to KBecks, added:

<<Hmmm...isn't the tax-free gift limit $10,000? Or is that $8,500 to each of you? Is that legal if you file jointly? No one's ever given me that kind of money before (poor me) so I'm not sure what the rules are here.>>

The $10K gift limit is per person. So if mom gifted $10K to her daughter and $7K to her SIL (or any other combination to the two that totalled $17K), then the mother is in great shape and has followed the law correctly. It's always the giver, not the recipient, that has to worry. Thus, how KBecks files her return has no impact on the gift. Further, the mother could have given all $17K to KBeck without a problem if the mother's husband joined in that gift. In that scenario $10K would come from mother and the other $7K from the father, which is also perfectly legal. The parental couple in that instance would also owe no gift tax.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement