Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5037  
Subject: Re: Is theft unethical? Date: 11/27/2006 9:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
DarmaBumGary-

What's your goal here?

If you want people to stop eat animals, have you considered a less confrontational approach? Tell us how you came to your conclusions. Suggest ways that people could reduce their consumption of animals as a step to becoming vegan. Discuss why this issue is so important to you.

If your goal is just to make people annoyed and uncomfortable then you're succeeding, but I assume that this issue is important to you and you would like to actual change our behaviors. For the most part people you encounter are not considering veganism. They know little about it, and don't think it would be a valuable thing for them to work toward. I strongly recommend you read the book "Changing Minds" to learn what will help people in the pre-contemplation stage of habit change.

Every fast food burger, each pork chop, all turkey dinners, one and all the work of thieves, robbers of live itself.

None of those pigs, cows, and turkeys would be alive if we didn't plan on eating them for dinner. They're conceived and raised only because (there's not a big market in wild pigs in the US). Does that change the equation?

Obligate carnivores must kill other animals to survive (I'm not saying we are, just that they exist in the natural world). How does that fit into the plan of never killing animals?

If we must kill an animal because it is a threat to our lives (there are such threatening bears even in the US although we work to avoid that situation) is it more ethical to throw away the meat or to consume it? If we kill an animal accidentally (roadkill of a deer, for example), is it more ethical to throw away the meat or consume it?

Personally, I have always known that animals die in order for me to eat meat. Raising livestock for this purpose seems like a perfectly ethical thing to do. I have met the cows and pigs at the CSA farm that will die to provide beef and pork, and I have no sense of cognitive dissonance over this. I do not think that humans and animals are equal.

But I am greatly concerned with the destruction of habitats en masse and global climate change. Those changes are massive and often irreversible.

- Megan

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement