No. of Recommendations: 0
DarrellK writes (in part):

However, if you determine that you will not be eligible for a deduction, you should contribute to a Roth IRA instead. Contributions to a Roth IRA are always better than nondeductible traditional IRA contributions, since earnings as well as contributions can eventually be withdrawn tax-free, and the Roth has fewer restrictions on distributions in general.

I reply:

One cautionary note -- unlike the traditional IRA, eligibility to contribute to a Roth IRA is "means-tested." If you make too much money (in this sense), your only option is the traditional IRA. Eligibility phases out for married taxpayers starting with an adjusted gross income of $150,000; I think the phase-out for single taxpayers begins at $90,000. --Bob
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.