UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TOBYWATSON Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3687  
Subject: Data Providers (Metastock/Omnitrader) Date: 1/17/2000 4:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Dear all,

Since there appears not to have been a post on data providers for a while I thought I would start one.

Who uses a reliable data provider in Metastock format?

I looked at Reuters, but Telescan seems better value - the only thing is do they provide quality updates like Reuters?

Could someone advise?

Toby.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TAfool Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2132 of 3687
Subject: Re: Data Providers (Metastock/Omnitrader) Date: 1/17/2000 5:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Original Message
Subject: Data Providers (Metastock/Omnitrader)
Author: TOBYWATSON Date: 1/17/00 4:53 PM Number: 2131
\
Dear all,

Since there appears not to have been a post on data providers for a while I thought I would start one.

Who uses a reliable data provider in Metastock format?

I looked at Reuters, but Telescan seems better value - the only thing is do they provide quality updates like Reuters?

Could someone advise?
Toby.

Lots of folks use the Telescan service and are quite happy with it, however, I don't so I can't vouch for their statements.

Have you considered Worden Bros.? They don't send out a Metastock format but their software (TC2000 v.4, v.3 does not) does convert their format to a Metastock one.

TC2000's screening and Metastock is a tough act to beat.

https://www.stockfinder.com/tc2000/default.asp

Only the big three exchange listed issues are present, along with foriegn indecies, and technical indicators -- no BB's.

Nothing to analyze here!
TAfool

Author: TOBYWATSON Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2135 of 3687
Subject: Re: Data Providers (Metastock/Omnitrader) Date: 1/18/2000 7:18 AM
Dear TAFool,

Thanks for your reply. I've had a look at the TC2000 web page, and it looks like a pretty good product.

Could I enquire as to whether they send out corrections to previously received data - i.e. correcting bad data?

Toby.

Author: DigbyRC Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2137 of 3687
Subject: Re: Data Providers (Metastock/Omnitrader) Date: 1/18/2000 9:56 AM
It is a nice change to see a different type of software up for discussion.

Data Provision is an area that I'm pretty unfamiliar with. Is TC2000 similar in intention the the StockQuest program available from the markguide.com web site ? If you know both, how do they compare ?

I would be most interested to know. I have just started to use StockQuest, but mainly because it was the only free software that I had been made aware of.

- Dr. C

Author: matchu2 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2148 of 3687
Subject: Re: Data Providers (Metastock/Omnitrader) Date: 1/18/2000 10:51 PM
Was your recommending TC2000 affected by their paid advertising on Motley Fool? Not suggesting that it was.

Matt

Author: TAfool Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2149 of 3687
Subject: Re: Data Providers (Metastock/Omnitrader) Date: 1/18/2000 11:43 PM
Original Message
Subject: Re: Data Providers (Metastock/Omnitrader)
Author: TOBYWATSON Date: 1/18/00 7:18 AM Number: 2135

Dear TAFool,

Thanks for your reply. I've had a look at the TC2000 web page, and it looks like a pretty good product.

Could I enquire as to whether they send out corrections to previously received data - i.e. correcting bad data?

Toby.

Yes, the data is cleaned each night and again on each weekend. All corrected data overwrites any previous bad data automatically.

Just to clarify the statement in the last post, v.4 will convert to a metastock format but v.3 (which is no longer supported) will not. Mutual fund prices are expected to be included in the not too distant future since v.3 is no longer available and that was the only version that had them.

Also, be aware of this issue: It seems that a good many folks had problems getting Metastock to read TC's data while others have had no problem. After patches to both programs most appear to have the problem licked but there are still complaints here and there (I have yet to have a problem).

OmniTrader has never had a problem reading TC's data.

There are also erratic complaints about failed data downloads from TC but, I suspect faulty connections, heavy net traffic, or ISP faults rather than a TC server problem as I have only had one day in the last two years where I was unable to update (I have a cable connection). 1-800 phone updates are also an option.

I absolutely love this program (TC2000) but do be aware that it seems the graphing of indicators is not exactly accurate at times. I really don't know why.

Would I give up TC? No way!

Nothing to analyze here!
TAfool

Author: TAfool Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2151 of 3687
Subject: Re: Data Providers (Metastock/Omnitrader) Date: 1/19/2000 12:32 AM
Original Message
Author: DigbyRC Date: 1/18/00 9:56 AM Number: 2137

It is a nice change to see a different type of software up for discussion.

Data Provision is an area that I'm pretty unfamiliar with. Is TC2000 similar in intention the the StockQuest program available from the markguide.com web site ? If you know both, how do they compare ?

I would be most interested to know. I have just started to use StockQuest, but mainly because it was the only free software that I
had been made aware of.

- Dr. C

Hey, Doc!

StockQuest is a great product to do FA (fundamental analysis) with. The screening features and custom configuration are great and make stock selecting much easier when you can get the trash out of the way.

The differences between TC2000 and StockQuest are monumental, though. Where StockQuest screens on multiple FA fronts, TC screens on the TA (technical analysis) side. TC will screen on a few FA criteria such as growth rates, EPS, sales, divies, market cap, and other basics but, it is not nearly as in-depth as StockQuest. TC's forte is custom screening of TA points (and FA, if you choose to add them) and their easy to read customizable graphs.

I don't use StockQuest that much any more except for reference but I would whole-heartedly recommend StockQuest to you or anyone else.
http://www.marketguide.com/mgi/STOCKQUEST/sq-soft.html

Do note that the TC program is free but the data to run it is priced at about $30 per month. I think you get 4 weeks of free useage to try it out before you buy but it might just be two. There is nothing to cancel and no strings attached to try it so you might want to take a look just for fun.
https://www.stockfinder.com/tc2000/default.asp

If you are not going to do any TA work then I don't think that you will need TC2000. Use StockQuest and any of the free graphing sites on the web and you should be just fine.

Nothing to analyze here!
TAfool

Author: TAfool Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2152 of 3687
Subject: Re: Data Providers (Metastock/Omnitrader) Date: 1/19/2000 1:10 AM
Original Message
Author: matchu2 Date: 1/18/00 10:51 PM Number: 2148

Was your recommending TC2000 affected by their paid advertising on Motley Fool? Not suggesting that it was.

Matt

Well, hey there, young gun,

In a word, no!

I began using TC2000 long before they ever advertised on the Fool. Also, I am not a Fool employee, just a puttz that stops by the boards now and again, so it doesn't matter to me if they advertise here or not.

I make my living off of this program (I'm what the Fools would call a traiter...oops, I mean trader!) so the recommendation came as a result of my useage.

Analyze this!
TAfool

Author: TOBYWATSON Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2153 of 3687
Subject: Re: Data Providers (Metastock/Omnitrader) Date: 1/19/2000 5:11 AM
TAFool,

This is getting to be quite an interesting thread. Thanks for letting me know that the data is cleaned. When I have looked at message boards with regards to Metasrock/Omnitrader in the past, the big complaint seeems to be getting clean data. Could I pester you with another question, and ask if you have ever noticed inaccurate data (e.g. as a result of stock splits or just plain wrong)?

I do quite like the look of TC2000s screening feature. It looks like this, combined with Metastock to look at charts in greater detail could be a winner.

Since you say that you are a trader, making use of TC2000, it would be interesting to hear some more about how you use the program.

Fool on,

Toby.

Author: TAfool Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2162 of 3687
Subject: Re: Data Providers (Metastock/Omnitrader) Date: 1/20/2000 1:17 AM
Original Message
Author: TOBYWATSON Date: 1/19/00 5:11 AM Number: 2153
TAFool,

This is getting to be quite an interesting thread. Thanks for letting me know that the data is cleaned.
When I have looked at message boards with regards to Metasrock/Omnitrader in the past, the big complaint
seeems to be getting clean data. Could I pester you with another question, and ask if you have ever noticed
inaccurate data (e.g. as a result of stock splits or just plain wrong)?

Yes, it does happen. Splits are very annoying as the close price will drop to the split amount on the split
date but the historical data is priced at the pre-split amount. This pricing problem exists for one or
sometimes two days until it is corrected.

Plain old errors are hard to come by but they do happen on rare occassions. This hasn't presented a problem for
me so far.

I do quite like the look of TC2000s screening feature. It looks like this, combined with Metastock to
look at charts in greater detail could be a winner.

Yes, exactly.

Since you say that you are a trader, making use of TC2000, it would be interesting to hear some more about
how you use the program.

Fool on,

Toby.

Here is a link to a description of a triple banded RSI that I really like:
http://messages.clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/telechart2000usergroup/bbs?tid=telechart2000usergroup&sid=12171972&action=m&mid=8018

Here is a little more on this screen that also includes a few confirmation signals to look for:
http://messages.clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/telechart2000usergroup/bbs?action=m&tid=telechart2000usergroup&sid=12171972&mid=9185

There is also a TC board here at the Fool but it is just barely getting by on life support. Drop by and
post, maybe it will give it a kick-start.
http://boards.fool.com/Registered/messages.asp?id=1380114000000000&sort=id

Nothing to Analyze here!*~<;-D
TAfool

Author: TOBYWATSON Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2237 of 3687
Subject: Re: Data Providers (Metastock/Omnitrader) Date: 1/26/2000 1:42 PM
Thanks for all your advice TAFool, I may just give the software combination of Metastock, TA2000 and Omnitrader a whirl.

Regards,

Toby.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement