Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jbgbbs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121095  
Subject: Date Determination Question Date: 12/26/2000 12:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello! and Happy Holidays!

I am planning on selling some shares of one of my losers before the end of the year to realize the loss and reduce my taxes.

What date does the transaction need be dated with regards to the "settlement date"? Do I have until the 29th to see if it comes up a little more, or do I have to execute today to have the transaction settle by the 29th?

Thanks!
Jon

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43389 of 121095
Subject: Re: Date Determination Question Date: 12/26/2000 12:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
There was some discussion re. this previously. From what I read (and I;m no accountant), your trade date is the date you need to be concerned with. You do not have to await the "execution" date for your true loss.

Unless we hear differently, that is what was said a few days ago & I think I have it right?????

thx

Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43390 of 121095
Subject: Re: Date Determination Question Date: 12/26/2000 12:42 PM
The settlement date doesn't matter. It is the date that you give the order that determines whether it is a 2000 or 2001 transaction. Therefore, you have until Friday.
I sold mine today. Lots of folks are in our boat and want to take losses in 2000. After the first of the year hopefully the market will do better.
Or do lots of folks sit by with a bunch of cash waiting for Friday? The market will confound the maximum number of people.
Best wishes, Chris

Author: jbgbbs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43391 of 121095
Subject: Re: Date Determination Question Date: 12/26/2000 1:11 PM
Thanks for your timely response!!

Wishing you all a prosperous 2001!
Jon

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement