Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Daughter is a website monitor making $12K and got a 1099 Misc from her employer. No tax, either Fed or HI state, was withheld. Q: the employer calls her an "independent contractor" and according to DD, seems to feel they are exempt from withholding tax on her pay. Is the employer right? Can't DD request withholding via a W-4. She/I felt that if you receive a 1099, you had the right to ask for WH. Anyone??


If she is an independent contractor, she'll have to pay both sides of SS & medicare. To me, that's a bigger gulp than income tax on 12K.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.