Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BobSutton Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61  
Subject: Re: Snap 4000 vs Netapp F720? Date: 2/25/2000 11:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Dave, thanks for tossing some stimulating fuel on a fire that benefits us all. I'm jet-lagged and overdue for a nap that precludes any more thoughtful reply, but have two observations I've observed in the high-end SAN and tape silo wars that might be germane...

First, vendor loyalty is not nearly as hardwired as some would portray it. Large corporate storage clients are aggressive shoppers and seem inclined to award new and incremental storage bids mostly on the basis of price/performance. Anecdotally (over the past six to nine months), nobody in that market is commanding much premium except EMC and I've heard enterprise purchasing people use them as an example of everything that can go wrong with a vendor lock-in. Some of the big NYC financial institutions are letting it be known that they're buying "brand-x" just to keep EMC honest and at least two of the big SAN vendors regard sales-cycles to displace EMC as more attractive than their competitive server sales cycles and focusing resources accordingly. A three- to six-month payoff is not considered unreasonable. So, I wouldn't immediately consign DSS to the low-end ghetto if their NAS solutions are capable of moving upstream and they have relationships to build around.

Second, regarding your observation:

The interesting thing about focusing on the ultra-low-end market first is that in the super-low-end market, the product design has to be very economical, and administration costs really need to be zero. There's the hope that DSS's stupid low-end design will be appealing to data centers filled with more and more NAS boxes.

This is actually a very profound reality in a world that is rapidly embracing the out-sourced, co-located, lowest-cost footprint model that the ISP/ASP/HSP evolution brings to the table. With so much distributed-server capacity coming on-line in hosting services sites, it seems inevitable that costs will be driven out quickly. Low-end NAS that can demonstrably move up-stream should catch on the way rack-mountable, commodity servers have done.

Anyway, off to a glass of cabernet and some much-needed sleep...

Bob Sutton
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement