UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: anuragupta Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1202  
Subject: Re: AIB: finally exiting... Date: 12/25/2010 8:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Dave,

Why would you hold this if it is going to get delisted? Even without that I would have sold it as the govt ownership climbing up to 96% in next few months makes the game over here. Holding would make sense if there was any hope left. If there is let me know the rationale. I won't hold it for emotional reminders though.

Stocks like AIB were part of my high risk basket in my 200+ stock portfolio. The risk basket returns were good (not phenomenal as I had hoped for). In my risk basket of a dozen financial stocks, I lost on 6 - New Century finance corp, Imdymac bancorp, AIB, ACAS, NBG and LYG. The other six - USB, EZPW, OXPS, AINV, SCHW, PRAA recovered furiously. I am not listing my insurance companies in this basket - only banks and certain financial services that I deemed risky at one point. One could say that stocks like OXPS and SCHW were never that risky. But at the bottom of the turmoil they plummetted too and interestingly at that time AIB and NBG were not deemed as risky as today. Now since one can only loose 100% (mostly 70% after tax losses and counting all divs) and the gains are limitless the basket has a good chance of become profitable and it did since all the other doubled to quadrupled. If ACAS, LYG and NBG recover the basket would do even better. I did make one mistake that somewhat stunted the results of my risk basket. I invested about 50% more than my target in AIB (~$2000). The reason being this was twice rec'ced with half a dozen BBN listing at GG. This was never considered to be a high risk holding in my portfolio.

Anurag
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement