Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ControlFool One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 325  
Subject: Day after Thanksgiving experience Date: 12/18/2003 1:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
The day after Thanksgiving, a local superstore advertised the LeapPad Plus writing on sale for $39.97 (normally $59.99), plus a free microphone and two books (a $24.99 value), during the 6 a.m. to 12 noon only sale. Needless to say, this got a lot of people's attention, including mine.

I arrived at the store (a 24 hour store) about 5:45 a.m. There was already about 15 – 20 others there looking for the LeapPad Plus writing special – the store was already out! Apparently shoppers had started coming as early as 4:30 a.m. and loaded their carts with all of them and just waited around until 6:00 a.m. to check out. My guess is there were only 10 -12 of them anyway at that price, and the store had not put a limit on them. I saw one lady with at least three in her cart.

Many people were very upset. One lady was actually in tears because she didn't get one (no, it wasn't me!). I'd say that over the next 20 -30 minutes as we tried to get some answers from management, another 20 – 25 customers showed up looking for the LeapPads. That's about 35 – 40 customers that I saw before 6:30 a.m. who got up hoping to get a great deal on a LeapPad. I can only imagine how many more showed up before noon.

I'll eventually get mine. I got a raincheck for the price on the LeapPad; it doesn't include the free microphone and books, but it's still a good price. This was obviously one of their loss-leaders for the day.

I'm just guessing here, but partly based on what I saw that day, I'd say LeapFrog is in for record sales this quarter.

Merry Christmas!
ControlFool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement