Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: steel Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23024  
Subject: Db is Truly Exposed! Date: 8/19/2000 6:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
I took to heart all the various new poster's concerns here recently, especially ilmostro's words of warning. And I decided to undertake some "due diligence" this weekend, and figure out whether we should be corresponding with this dbphoenix. After all, it has really been bugging me that he refuses to post all his trades here, and that he's so obstinate in his refusal to post his investment results over the past 12 years. I mean, what's the big deal? How can I evaluate all his written material unless I know how well he himself has done?

So I flew out to Phoenix to meet this Dbphoenix fellow, and I'm here to report my findings.

And you just won't believe it!

First off, Db is actually female. And she's old too. I mean, really old. In her upper 70's, at least.

I think she was senile, but I couldn't tell if it was that, or if it was the 20 beers she drank while I was visiting. Man, that lady's a lush too!

And here's the biggest surprise of all:

After she got really really drunk, she secretly informed me that she was the original founding member of the "Beardstown Ladies" group who started up an investment club several years ago!

Yes indeed!, the very same ones who wrote that phenomenal best selling investment book based on their "stellar" stock market returns, which were calculated using faulty input!!!

Ilmostro and the other "newcomers", I just want to thank you for saving all of us from this fraud, dbphoenix. If not for your words of caution and incessant questioning about investment results, I would've continued to follow db's "strategies" until I lost all my money! She probably would've bamboozled me out of all my assets eventually, I'm sure.

Please send me your email address so I can send you a WebCertificate to show my gratitude--I can't thank you enough!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8859 of 23024
Subject: Re: Db is Truly Exposed! Date: 8/19/2000 6:19 PM
Recommendations: 0
Please send me your email address so I can send you a WebCertificate to show my gratitude--I can't thank you enough!

Very funny! I even recommended the post. You can get my email address by clicking on the "email this reply to the author" from one of my posts. Thanks for the laugh Steel.
Bryan

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8861 of 23024
Subject: Re: Db is Truly Exposed! Date: 8/19/2000 6:23 PM
especially ilmostro's words of warning

What words of warning? I don't recall warning anyone about anything. I just posted some honest thoughts. Again thanks for the belly laugh. But are you sure she lives in Phoenix?
Bryan

Author: zathrus1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8862 of 23024
Subject: Re: Db is Truly Exposed! Date: 8/19/2000 6:56 PM
Recommendations: 33
Steel,
I think that you're fibbing here. I've done some work with a psychologist from the FBI (a profiler) and together we've come to the conclusion that DB is actually a Monk from the Shao Lin temple.

[Flashback]
The sound of chimes in the distance - the smell of incense in the air. A young boy, head shaved, kneels before the wizened man in the orange robe.

Charthopper: "Master - I have examined this chart, and the volume seems weak. Should I buy it now, or wait for it to improve?"

MasterDb: (chuckling) "Young Charthopper, have your learned nothing? Why do you examine the flaws in this chart, and refuse to gaze at the flaws within yourself?"

Charthopper: "But Master, who is wiser? - the man who invests in a cup with handle, or the man who feeds at the bottom?"

MasterDb: (wistfully) " Drink first from the cup of your own wisdom, and you will have food for a lifetime"

Charthopper: "I do not understand Master..."

MasterDb: "Then you have not read the FAQ" - [Smacks kid with a bamboo stick and smiles knowingly]

Z1

Author: dbphoenix Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8865 of 23024
Subject: Re: Db is Truly Exposed! Date: 8/19/2000 7:57 PM
Recommendations: 2

I haven't been reading any of the "Db" stuff, including the "letter" and the "expose". Too much else to do, all of it more interesting (how could it be less). But when I saw that Dave had put something together, I couldn't resist it, and Gary's contribution is a gem. I have to find a place for it at the website somewhere. I'd put it at the beginning of the FAQ, but newcomers wouldn't get the joke.

But I guess that's the point of having inside jokes, isn't it?

I must, however, admit to a certain curiosity as to the identities of the three extra people who keep recommending "those posts". I can only assume that they are Professor Plum, Colonel Mustard, and Miss Scarlett.

Wax on, wax off, y'all.

--Db

Author: Kestral Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8868 of 23024
Subject: Re: Db is Truly Exposed! Date: 8/20/2000 1:16 AM
Recommendations: 1
I must, however, admit to a certain curiosity as to the identities of the three extra people who keep recommending "those posts". I can only assume that they are Professor Plum, Colonel Mustard, and Miss Scarlett.

Hi Db, Linda, Chris et al,

Just wanted to mention that I've been lurking for the past week or two... since I'm still new to this board, I've been scouting it out - as someone once said, better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought of an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt.

At this point I've been reading all the material from the Burrow, questions I've had so far I've found the answers thanks to Chris' well-phrased questioning. I finished reading the Mind Game and will be taking the challenge - I've even set up a spreadsheet in Excel tonight which provides areas for reasons for buying and reasons for selling as well as all the vital statistics tracked.

But there's still more to be read, books to go through so for now I'll lurk -- but I just wanted to say hi to everyone here and thank everyone for this great form, especially dbphoenix.

In the meantime, I'll be here if anyone needs me:)

Kestral

Author: BadBadger Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8869 of 23024
Subject: Re: Db is Truly Exposed! Date: 8/20/2000 1:55 AM
Well, it seems unfriendly not to say "hi" also. And
second Kestral's "thank you" to everyone for the
terrific forum. I'll be lurking while I do my
homework.

Thanks, Carol.

Author: AngryCandy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8870 of 23024
Subject: Re: Db is Truly Exposed! Date: 8/20/2000 2:06 AM
Hey, long time no see, Kestral. Nice to see you 'round again. I hope the market and life has treated you well.

This weekend, I have started my mission to become a more serious trader. Of course, if we go back to the days of late 1999, then screw it, I'll just buy and hold til I get a triple or so. :)

I had already read Sperandeo but at db's suggestion of paying special attention to Part 2 of the book, I am rereading it. I also spent a good deal of time in the burrow tonight though I had less time today than I will have tomorrow which should be some serious work.

-chris

Author: Kestral Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8871 of 23024
Subject: Re: Db is Truly Exposed! Date: 8/20/2000 3:23 AM
Hey, long time no see, Kestral. Nice to see you 'round again. I hope the market and life has treated you well.

Hi Chris! It's been a long time indeed! Nice to see you around (I've been following you throughout the different boards). Life has been great so far, finished University, and just got back from beautiful Alaska - I just may have to move there one day. The market has been the market - Since being stopped out before that ugly April, I've been mostly cash most of the time with a few plays here and there but for the most part, after last year's horrible summer, I didn't want to be in the market during the summer. Since those CMGI days I've spent more time on private groups and listservs and during that time really went to school in TA (especially love the candlesticks, read Nison and Morris and have to agree with dhphoenix, I prefer the Nison text - IMO that first Nison book is worth the money).

This weekend, I have started my mission to become a more serious trader. Of course, if we go back to the days of late 1999, then screw it, I'll just buy and hold til I get a triple or so. :)
I had already read Sperandeo but at db's suggestion of paying special attention to Part 2 of the book, I am rereading it.

That's great! You know what they say, about the journey of a thousand miles... Late 1999 was schweet - so was late 1998. Who knows, if late 2000 goes the same way then I guess trading won't be too difficult :)

I also spent a good deal of time in the burrow tonight though I had less time today than I will have tomorrow which should be some serious work.

As did I - actually, what I did is this - I went into the Burrow using Microsoft Explorer and downloaded the whole web site onto my hard drive - it turned out to be only about 2.5 megs - and with cable modem, it took only a minute or two to do it. So now I can read it anytime, anywhere since I have a laptop - no excuses! I printed out the CANSLIM FAQ and I'm going through it right now - I've already read a large number of TA books but I'll be going through the recommended books in the FAQ in the order dbphoenix suggested them - in fact I've alreaedy ordered the first book tonight - How To Make Money in Stocks by WON. It's great to have someone else that I can correspond with while we make this journey into a brave new world :)

Kestral

Author: Setar One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8872 of 23024
Subject: Re: Db is Truly Exposed! Date: 8/20/2000 3:46 AM
Hey Kes, been a while!

As did I - actually, what I did is this - I went into the Burrow using Microsoft Explorer and downloaded the whole web site onto my hard drive - it turned out to be only about 2.5 megs - and with cable modem, it took only a minute or two to do it. So now I can read it anytime, anywhere since I have a laptop - no excuses!

*lol* Guess what I did this morning as well. Got to love those web crawlers. The burrow is now resting on my laptop as well. Hm. Actually, db might want to consider asking for royalities...

Cheers, Oliver

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement