UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: spinning Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35351  
Subject: Re: 60 Minutes, 401ks, & Saving Date: 4/21/2009 11:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
DB plans, because they are annuities, can never be depleted, nor do they ever have to be managed by the worker himself. DB plans are far superior for meeting the needs of average retirees than DC plans, as several studies have shown, because untrained workers do not manage those assets, nor can they make excessive withdrawals.

I do not share your faith in defined benefit plans. Since I have a DC plan, I have never really looked into DB plans. But DB plans seem to be chronically underfunded and some large companies have defaulted on their pensions. The people running the DB plans may be professionals, but they share all the same assumptions with the rest of the investment community.

Two quick Google results:
The problem of public pension underfunding is rapidly becoming the next major administrative nightmare as the over $1 trillion underfunding will at some point have to receive appropriate funding treatment. But public workers are not the only ones who should be very concerned as a result of pension fund underperformance, due in major part to the collapse in capital markets and pension funds' large investments in public equities.
http://zerohedge.blogspot.com/2009/03/pension-underfunding-a...

From 2005:
The United pension default — the largest in U.S. history — comes atop a string of bankruptcies and retirement plan meltdowns in the steel, retail and other industries in the past several years that have directly affected the retirement security of millions of Americans and prompted millions more to worry whether they're next.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/retirement/2005-05-15-pe...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement