Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: KASutkaitis One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23022  
Subject: DBPhoenix Date: 12/24/2001 11:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I feel that the board is a lot better with his leaving because he was very combative and hated me. Notice that since he left people will talk about individual stocks instead of getting stern reminders that it is not appropriate to talk about individual stocks. I found him very interesting and don't think that over all he was a bad influence idea wise, but he is one of these people who hate me at first glance and I cannot approve. A lot of his chart ideas seem really over the top and to complicated though.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17754 of 23022
Subject: Re: DBPhoenix Date: 12/24/2001 12:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
DB is a very controlling person. He always has the RIGHT answer, and one's own opinion is always in need of correction to line up with his.

He has a very closed mind.

Author: spedblavio Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17755 of 23022
Subject: Re: DBPhoenix Date: 12/24/2001 12:46 PM
Recommendations: 0
DB is a very controlling person. He always has the RIGHT answer, and one's own opinion is always in need of correction to line up with his.

He has a very closed mind.

And he's not around here to trouble you anymore, so what's the point of making these statements about him? I don't frequent this board regularly anymore, so I found it amusing to drop in and see db being discussed.

Author: nea3 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17756 of 23022
Subject: Re: DBPhoenix Date: 12/24/2001 12:53 PM
Recommendations: 23
I, for one, will always be indebted to db for forcing me to learn and read and to think on my own. As far as this board being better with his leaving . . . that's a matter of opinion. I think the CANSLIM board has turned into worthless noise. I don't know what your problem is or what he pointed you at regarding being "hated at first glance" but I think db attempted to make us all stand on our own two feet. Maybe you should go back and reread his postings that affected you so much, and rethink them with a little thicker skin. Have a Merry Christmas!

Author: spedblavio Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17757 of 23022
Subject: Re: DBPhoenix Date: 12/24/2001 12:59 PM
Recommendations: 8
Notice that since he left people will talk about individual stocks instead of getting stern reminders that it is not appropriate to talk about individual stocks.

Maybe I just have selective memory, but I thought he encouraged discussion of specific stocks within a CANSLIM context.

Author: AngryCandy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17758 of 23022
Subject: Re: DBPhoenix Date: 12/24/2001 1:52 PM
Recommendations: 34
Personally, I find the board almost pointless to read since db left. It used to be a favorite. Now it's just useless to me. Not meant as a slam at anyone here but since people drove db off with personal attacks, I barely read this board anymore.

-chris

Author: PushShanmugam One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17759 of 23022
Subject: Re: DBPhoenix Date: 12/24/2001 2:49 PM
Recommendations: 2
I too found this board losing direction after DB left. Of course, DB is strict and he wants to control few things. Thats ok to me as long as the board is not missing its direction. We created other boards like IBD, Momentum for specific purpose but we don't use them. We discuss IBD stocks (not necessarily CAN SLIM stocks) here instead of using IBD board. The discussion in dbs_burrow in Yahoo groups definitely healthy and people are presenting nice ideas.

Pushparaj

Author: Prestone Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17760 of 23022
Subject: Re: DBPhoenix Date: 12/24/2001 2:58 PM
Recommendations: 24
I could not agree more AC. The content of the board reminds me of the chart of a high flying CMGI, which coincidentally is getting the boot from the NDX 100.

Who cares what anyone thinks of DB or his teaching/helping methods? The information provided at the Burrow, and the reading list he provided (that I probably would have not known about on my own) are worth a lot of money in lost opportunity cost for those that refuse to further their understanding of trading.

Doesnt matter what I think of his methods, all the light bulbs and "A-HA's" that clicked on because of things he said have saved me a lot of money. I attibute a large degree of what I have learned, and the success that has come from that, directly to DbPhoenix.

Oh well, another high-flyer bites the dust. Its a shame.

Prestone

Author: nichola4 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17761 of 23022
Subject: Re: DBPhoenix Date: 12/24/2001 4:49 PM
Recommendations: 13
<<all the light bulbs and "A-HA's">>

Okay, one more post now that some old members have returned. ;)

I agree that Db shaves several years off the learning curve and is one of the best teachers around, and I was extremely lucky that HTMMIS was the first book I read and that it led immediately to Db and this board, where one learned not only CS, but how the markets really work.

nic

Author: sjcberkeley Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17770 of 23022
Subject: Re: DBPhoenix Date: 12/24/2001 10:43 PM
Recommendations: 11
nea3, sped, AC, Prestone, and nic - ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto and ditto.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15691889

Author: SkruySkweril Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17771 of 23022
Subject: Re: DBPhoenix Date: 12/24/2001 11:50 PM
Recommendations: 7
Last year, after I had been totally crushed by the market, I decided to learn about other different investing/trading methods than the one I was using. At the time I knew almost nothing about trading or the markets but I stumbled upon this board. Most of what I know now about TA I learned from lurking here and at Db's Burrow. The rest I've learned from the 60 or so books I've read since. While I didn't have any interest in CANSLIM as a method for myself, I always liked to read this board for Db's and others insights on topics related to TA and market psycology in general. I can't possibly imagine how this board could have been improved by his absence.

Author: edmay Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17801 of 23022
Subject: Re: DBPhoenix Date: 12/26/2001 10:59 PM
Recommendations: 4
There is no one on this board or any other on the net that helped me more with developing my own style than Db. The Burrow, his recommended books, and his unceasing posts on this board really are what got me interested in looking at the market from a technical viewpoint and away from a strict fundamental viewpoint. It's a perspective that's saved me a lot of heartache that I would have had if I held onto the stocks of "great" companies in a long bear market. I can't think of anyone outside of maybe Bruce and a few others that have worked more tirelessly in helping others with their goals in stock trading.

In fact, I checked and I haven't posted on this board at all since Db left. Not a coincidence. It's true, Db could be controlling. He more often set the tone for this board and, at times, dominated its content. But he's what helped give this board some structure and one of the best signal/noise ratios of the stock boards. The noise level here was kept to a minimum when regular posters knew Db was there to pick apart their arguments. You were more careful about what you posted when you knew Db would be judging and responding. Like his answer or not, it was usually very thoughtful and thought provoking.

As to Db being chased off, I don't think that was entirely the case. He's always had his detractors. He's always had little cat fights from time to time, but it didn't bother him before. Rather, I think his own style has developed beyond CANSLIM and so continuing the same arguments he's been engaging in for years no longer appealed to him. I know that Db had started trading futures, like e-minis, and was getting away from individual issues. So if he's not trading individual stocks than he certainly has moved beyond CANSLIM. If that's the case, than that's reason enough for him to move on.

Ed

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17822 of 23022
Subject: Re: DBPhoenix Date: 12/27/2001 6:27 PM
Recommendations: 0
he certainly has moved beyond CANSLIM. If that's the case, than that's reason enough for him to move on.

Here is a post of his commenting on CANSLIM, dated 8/01/01 from the Saratoga board.

<<I still have some CANSLIM lying beneath the surface>>

I had that, but my doctor gave me some cream to rub on it and it cleared right up.

--Db

He set up a moderated board using yahoo groups. Perhaps those who miss him will find him there.

Bryan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement