UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744600  
Subject: DC death wish Date: 7/10/2013 4:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
>> the Washington DC city council recently voted in favor of a “living wage” ordinance that would impose a super-minimum-wage of $12.50 per hour on Wal-Mart, which is planning to open six new stores in the District (three are already under construction). ... Wal-Mart announced yesterday that it will not start construction to open stores at three of the planned inner-city locations if the ordinance passes and is not vetoed by Mayor Vincent Gray.
At the Antiplanner blog (“dedicated to ending government land-use regulation, comprehensive planning, and transportation boondoggles”), a post titled “Job-Killing Living Wages” makes some great points about the DC Wal-Mart situation:

The left excuses this discrimination [against Wal-Mart] by calling it a “living wage” ordinance. But why is it that only employees of Wal-Mart, and not employees of smaller retail shops, supermarkets, restaurants, or other businesses?

Ironically, over the last decade three successive Washington DC mayors worked hard to attract Wal-Mart to build stores in inner-city neighborhoods. Wal-Mart was reluctant to build in those areas due to crime, but finally agreed to open six stores in the district. “We’ve been praying for food in this neighborhood for about 40 years,” said the resident of one neighborhood where Wal-Mart was planning to build.

Residents of this and other neighborhoods would not only benefit from Wal-Mart’s low prices but also from the hundreds of jobs that each store would require. Certainly $12.50 an hour is more than $8.25, but $12.50 times zero jobs is a lot less than $8.25 times 600 jobs. Not surprisingly, Wal-Mart is now threatening to abandon at least three if not all six of the stores it was planning to build in the city.’

These policies set the standards all wrong. The only valid way of judging Wal-Marts and other major retailers is from the point of view of consumers, not employees and certainly not their competitors. People who don’t like Wal-Mart should just not shop there, and people who think Wal-Mart doesn’t pay enough should just not work there. Otherwise, they should get out of the way and let others make their own decisions. <<
http://www.aei-ideas.org/2013/07/more-on-the-dc-city-council...

Typical DC idiocy. Remember the council member said having a Wal-Mart would make children turn to a life of crime?

arrete
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688526 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/10/2013 5:26 PM
Recommendations: 1
The Liberals in DC are worried about 2 things:

1.)That people they OWN right now via food stamps or other aid might, MIGHT get a job and their own money.

2.)That people they OWN right now, who can;t afford to shop in the expensive lilly-racist-segregated-liberal-areas and shoppes of DC MIGHT finally get a place they can afford to shop at.

I hope WalMart pulls out of the project. More Detroit is needed in DC.

More blight too.

Only when they get punished do they learn.

JediG

Author: THEMATHISNEAR Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688528 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/10/2013 5:59 PM
Recommendations: 2
Only when they get punished do they learn.

Some never learn, Jedi. They only blame others, and demand higher taxes to punish others.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688536 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/10/2013 6:17 PM
Recommendations: 0
Residents of this and other neighborhoods would not only benefit from Wal-Mart’s low prices but also from the hundreds of jobs that each store would require.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWaxuuAsuV0&list=PLDYLQOh...

Heck, even KISS likes Wal-Mart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIcuiyvi1oQ

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688538 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/10/2013 6:25 PM
I hope WalMart pulls out of the project. More "Detroit" is needed in DC. More blight too. Only when they get punished do they learn.

Unfortunately, that is what's needed. Even the ObamaPhone Lady woke up...finally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLZuKGTZlEY

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688539 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/10/2013 6:27 PM
65 Outrageous Baracky Owebama Lies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg9m1F8B2_c

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688541 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/10/2013 6:42 PM
He even lies about his own birthday. Or he couldn't remember when it was supposed to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wF_n-gn-Yo

Author: isawbones Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688553 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/10/2013 11:37 PM
A minimum wage job is better than no job.

Once you get a skill set, you move on to be better paying job like most Americans did when they first started out in the job market.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688566 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/11/2013 9:49 AM
But why is it that only employees of Wal-Mart, and not employees of smaller retail shops, supermarkets, restaurants, or other businesses?

Unions.

IIRC, places like Home Depot are exempt because they are allowed to be a union organized shop.

JLC

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688568 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/11/2013 10:01 AM
"the Washington DC city council recently voted in favor of a “living wage” ordinance that would impose a super-minimum-wage of $12.50 per hour on Wal-Mart," - arrete
----------------------

That's interesting because $12.50/hour is what my younger sister Robin told me was the minimum wage in Sweden. Let's be more like Sweden! <grin!>

Art

Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688572 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/11/2013 10:25 AM
Also notable...

Liberals believe $12.50 is a living wage.

Yep, high standards for America.

JediG

Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688577 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/11/2013 11:14 AM
Recommendations: 11
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wal-mart-walks-away-from-dc...

Wal-Mart walks away from building 3 stores in DC. Consumers can thank city councils members for saving them from lower food prices.

Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688582 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/11/2013 12:10 PM
Good for Walmart. Bravo.

I don't do crowds well so I rarely go to Walmart but I gotta start shopping via Walmart's website.

JediG

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688585 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/11/2013 12:34 PM
"the Washington DC city council recently voted in favor of a “living wage” ordinance that would impose a super-minimum-wage of $12.50 per hour on Wal-Mart," - arrete
----------------------

That's interesting because $12.50/hour is what my younger sister Robin told me was the minimum wage in Sweden. Let's be more like Sweden! <grin!>

And Robin had to move back from Sweden because she couldn't get a job, right?

When the young people of Washington DC can't get a job, where are they supposed to move back to?

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688590 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/11/2013 12:52 PM
"And Robin had to move back from Sweden because she couldn't get a job, right?" - warrl

---------------------

Yep. What exactly happened was the Swedish Government cut her boyfriend's disability in half because Robin was living with him and the only kinds of jobs she could get were temporary type jobs like substitute teaching, working part time in a Turk owned Restaurant, etc. None of them paid enough or was permanent or stable enough to make up the difference between that and what the Swedish government had been paying her boyfriend had been getting.

Robin also has a son with Asperger's syndrome in Georgia, U.S.A. that had been fighting with his father whom he had been living with. Robin came back and has been living with her Asperger's son in an apartment. Within a very short time after arriving back in the states she had 3 part time jobs, setting up displays for Nabisco, substitute teaching, and working at the Convention center at night setting and breaking down for things going on there.

She works Nabisco in the morning and the Convention center at night. She substitute teaches on the days that she isn't needed by Nabisco, which pays better than substitute teaching. None of those jobs has benefits or health insurance and she is barely scraping by.

I drove to Georgia and gave her my 2005 Sentra so she'd have something dependable to get to work. She had been driving her ex-husband's old Impala that leaked oil and coolant - so she had to add oil and coolant before she drove anywhere in it.
----------------------

"When the young people of Washington DC can't get a job, where are they supposed to move back to?" - warrl

Why Sweden of course! <grin!>

Art

Author: BGinNJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688609 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/11/2013 5:36 PM
<Remember the council member said having a Wal-Mart would make children turn to a life of crime?>

And these are the morons that they keep electing (often unopposed) to "keep looking out for our best interests".

BG

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688642 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/12/2013 2:10 AM
Remember the council member said having a Wal-Mart would make children turn to a life of crime?

Before I moved to my current city, I had been to only one Wal-Mart. It was awful--crowded and chaotic. Based on that experience, I said I'd never shop at another Wal-Mart. I thought the same when I moved to my current city--until, that is, they remodeled the store. Now I shop there all the time. It opens at 7:00 a.m. and closes at 10:00 p.m., which makes it very convenient. Now I'm a Wal-Mart fan.

The city made Wal-Mart build stairs that lead up to the city park on which my property sits on the periphery. Costco also moved to my city and made quite a few concessions to the city as well.

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688820 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/13/2013 9:34 PM
I love the two Walmart grocery stores in my area. The Walmart Express that is just 4 to 5 blocks from where I live, plus the bigger and much nicer Walmart Neighborhood Market that is a mile further away and carries a better selection of stuff.

One side effect of Walmart opening a grocery store just a block away from the Jewel supermarket is that it forced Jewel to become more competitive with its pricing, to the point where I can't assume Walmart always has the lowest price; I have to check both stores. Now how can that be a bad thing?

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688822 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/13/2013 9:43 PM
I love the two Walmart grocery stores in my area. The Walmart Express that is just 4 to 5 blocks from where I live, plus the bigger and much nicer Walmart Neighborhood Market that is a mile further away and carries a better selection of stuff.

One side effect of Walmart opening a grocery store just a block away from the Jewel supermarket is that it forced Jewel to become more competitive with its pricing, to the point where I can't assume Walmart always has the lowest price; I have to check both stores. Now how can that be a bad thing?
----------------------------------------------------------
We have the same thing here, Mariano's opened across the street from Jewel and all of a sudden Jewel's prices dropped....and we got a Trader Joe's type place opening in the fall, nice.....or we can double the minimum wage....for fairness or something. IDIOTS!

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688823 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/13/2013 9:47 PM
"we can double the minimum wage....for fairness or something. IDIOTS! "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What is stupidity for DC is business for Virginia and Maryland.

Howie52

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688826 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/13/2013 10:05 PM
We have the same thing here, Mariano's opened across the street from Jewel and all of a sudden Jewel's prices dropped....

The Baron's heard many good things about Mariano's, but he's never been there so far. Chief reason being that the nearest store is a full three miles away, and The Baron does everything on foot.

Next time The Baron is in the area, though, he'll check it out.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688831 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/13/2013 10:26 PM
We have the same thing here, Mariano's

Here in NY Mariano closes<grin>

Note: Sport quip for those of you that don't do baseball

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 689365 of 744600
Subject: Re: DC death wish Date: 7/19/2013 1:32 AM
DC will never die, the feds keep pumping in a sh*tload of money. Of course they don't give a cr*p about the poor folks who have to overpay for their groceries and other products.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement