UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: geodebt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42361  
Subject: Re: Any experience with night terrors? Date: 9/8/2012 9:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
DD is 2.5 and she has had what we have decided are night terrors. They usually start ~2 hours after she goes to bed and sometimes there is more than one period per night.

We have generally found that they occur when she is overtired. When she goes to MILs to spend the night I can predict with about 99% certainty that she will have one for the next few nights. They don't put her to bed when we ask and her naps are poor and short. She always comes home exhausted and in a horrible mood.

She usually cries inconsolably and trying to wake her up or talk or touch makes it worse. We usually sit in the room with her to make sure she doesn't fall out of bed or something like that. My husband has good luck with scratching her back but If I touch her it is much worse. The first time it happened it lasted over 45 minutes and eventually she was just sobbing. We brought her out to the living room for cuddle time on the couch. This was before we realized what it was and that we shouldn't have tried to intervene.

We try to put her to bed earlier the nights following a MIL stay but it usually happens a couple of nights in a row before she is back to normal. I have read that if you wake them up a little bit about 1 hour after going to sleep it shifts the sleep cycle and prevents night terrors but we haven't tried that.

Not sure if this helps or not, maybe she is going through a growth spurt or the change in school is a little more stressful than you think. Did she go from having some sort of nap or downtime in the afternoon to none?

Good Luck and congrats on the future addition! we have a 4.5 mo old too!
Nicole
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement