Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Trololololo Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 501  
Subject: DDD valuation and growth source Date: 1/19/2013 6:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
It's hard not to be seduced by the rapid stock price appreciation of 3D Systems (DDD). David Gardner and other commenters on MF are singing the company's praises. It's truly a hot stock. But I want to hear your thoughts on its valuation - is buying into a company whose stock has a PE of 96, a PEG of 2.56 and a short ratio of 8.60 a warning to look beyond the story around this company?

I belong to MF Stock Advisor and the Million Dollar Portfolio. To see the cheerleading around DDD makes me wonder if all we see are unicorns. But I worry about storm clouds, specifically how DDD accounts for revenue growth. A hard look at DDD shows that the vast amount of the company's growth is not from ORGANIC growth, but rather from the many acquisitions DDD has made in the past few years. Could this be masking a company that when viewed organically, is really not growing at all?

I urge you to read an insightful article, "3D Systems: A Sobering Reality on the Seeking Alpha website:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1115531-3d-systems-a-soberin...

It takes a hard look at 3D Systems' negative cash flow, how the company accounts for organic revenue and earnings growth, and the methods used by the company's accounting. The article gave me pause. As many of you are more experienced in mining financials, I hope that you will read the article and respond with your thoughts.

It's tempting to invest in a company like 3D Systems for all the promise that this might have. But I have always invested in businesses with PEG ratios of 1.0 or less, particularly those with strong cash and cash flow positions, as well as little or no debt. Is it too easy just to blindly follow the happy story of 3D Systems that you read in MF, or should I stick to my principles, given that I invest to hold a stock for 10 years or more?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement