UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59856  
Subject: De-Extinction Show Date: 5/3/2013 7:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I heard a portion of Big Picture Science today. The part I heard was about sequencing the DNA of the extinct passenger pigeon. Ben Novak says they will succeed in recreating the passenger pigeon. I believe he said it won't be a perfect recreation, but close.
Here's Novak's Ted talk.
How to Bring Passenger Pigeons All the Way Back: Ben Novak at TEDxDeExtinction
http://longnow.org/revive/tedxdeextinction/how-to-bring-pass...
video on the page
Ben J. Novak is a young scientist pioneering the emerging field of “de-extinction”. The science of studying extinct species and applying their ecology and genomics to building future ecosystems is widely interdisciplinary, and demands a broad knowledge base. Ben studied ecology and evolution at Montana State University, specializing in paleontology, ecology, and genetics. He trained in Ancient DNA lab techniques under Dr. Hendrik Poinar, at the McMaster Ancient DNA Centre. His personal study of the history of the passenger pigeon and pigeon biology brings the spectrum together to work with and coordinate multiple teams to bring the passenger pigeon back to life in a project now named “The Great Comeback”, a Revive and Restore initiative under the Long Now Foundation. He has joined Dr. Beth Shapiro in sequencing the genome of the passenger pigeon at University of California at Santa Cruz....
------------------------------
http://radio.seti.org/
(click on download file to be able to control the show)
De-Extinction Show
Because Big Picture Science does not have individual segments, if you want to hear the interview with Novak, click on download file and drag bar to 18 minutes. I'm not sure it really downloads (maybe someone can clarify that for me), because a big screen with a slide bar becomes available. Following his section is another interesting interview with a lawyer working in bioethics, director of the Stanford Center for Law and the Biosciences at Stanford University, who talks about the bioethics of recreating extinct species.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement