UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60235  
Subject: 'Dead Voter' found alive Date: 9/19/2012 7:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Kind of puts the lie in the Tea-Baggers' Chicago thesis.

http://www.courant.com/community/windsor/hc-not-dead-yet-091...

— The ballot of a woman thought to have died before election day has sat unopened through a Democratic primary and two recounts and may be the key to deciding the winner.

The ballot in question belongs to an elderly Windsor woman. Election officials have not counted her absentee ballot because it is marked "deceased."

The woman's ballot could have huge implications in the disputed 5th house district race in which candidates Leo Canty and Brandon McGee are locked in a tie.

</snip>

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45512 of 60235
Subject: Re: 'Dead Voter' found alive Date: 9/19/2012 7:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm shocked that governments cannot refine if a person is alive or
dead. Whatever will happen to her health care coverage?

And illegal immigrants found in Michigan ---

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Oakland-County-clerk-find...

Last time I checked there are ways folks can get registered - although
I might very well distrust governments in Chicago --- and most
other areas as well.

Howie52
The protests about the Tea Party increasingly sound like a tempest in
a ***-pot?

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45517 of 60235
Subject: Re: 'Dead Voter' found alive Date: 9/19/2012 11:40 PM
Recommendations: 3
While doing random checks, Bullard and his staff surveyed three months worth of jury duty questionnaires and matched it against voter registration records. Doing spot checks alone, in a three month period, they found more than 30 illegal immigrants on the voting rolls.

I don't really understand how this worked. Has he actually confirmed that individuals that are not citizens are on the voting rolls? Or did he find that a guy who said he was not a citizen when reporting for jury duty has the same name as a guy on the voter rolls? That was the case in Florida earlier this year.

Also, if he has actually confirmed the error, has he bothered to find out how this guy registered to vote? That would seem to me to be the important question if he really believed there were non-citizens on the rolls.

Author: ravvt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45520 of 60235
Subject: Re: 'Dead Voter' found alive Date: 9/20/2012 1:20 AM
... from the Michigan Sec of State website:

http://michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1640_61055_60918_61050-...

For more than 30 years, until 2008, Michigan Secretary of State clerks were required by the federal government to register every customer to vote, regardless of whether they were U.S. citizens.

As a direct result of those policies, we believe that today there may be about 4,000 non-U.S. citizens mistakenly registered to vote in Michigan. (The non-partisan Pew Center found that Michigan had 102.54 percent of eligible residents registered to vote in 2008. We are working to ensure those who have died and moved out of state are also removed from the state's voter rolls.)

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45536 of 60235
Subject: Re: 'Dead Voter' found alive Date: 9/20/2012 6:14 PM
I was also surprised by the issue in Maryland:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/blog/bal-...

"The Maryland Democratic Party has endorsed the write-in candidacy of Eastern Shore physician John LaFerla to challenge freshman Republican Rep. Andy Harris in the 1st Congressional District.

“Dr. LaFerla has resounding grassroots support and the full confidence of the Party’s Executive Committee and Democratic leaders,” Democratic State Chairwoman Yvette Lewis said in a statement Monday.

LaFerla replaces Wendy Rosen, who won a party primary in April but withdrew from the race last week amid allegations that she was registered and had voted in two states in 2006 and 2008.

Her name will remain on the Nov. 6 ballot because the deadline to remove it has passed"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
But things do happen - and there is also a real potential problem
if a voter is turned away because of an error. Elections are important
and ensuring they are as legitimate as possible seems reasonable.

But my concerns are the reflex to attack another group merely
because they do not follow one party's line or another.
I think that is a dangerous practice for our republic.

Howie52

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45538 of 60235
Subject: Re: 'Dead Voter' found alive Date: 9/20/2012 8:59 PM
Recommendations: 8
But things do happen

Yes. I think I recall seeing the statistic that there have been a few dozen confirmed cases of voter fraud in the US in the past 20 years or so.

Of course none of the known cases had any impact on who won the elections. The current voter suppression efforts in many red states are, in fact, designed to change the outcome of elections . . . not to reduce the handful of voter fraud cases known to occur.

Take the example you just cited. Not one of the pending voter suppression laws would address that problem. Registration in multiple states may be the most significant form of actual voter fraud in the nation, but that kind of vote involves using an absentee or early-ballot in at least one location. Voter ID laws have no impact on that.

Looking at all the data and all the proposed red state laws carefully leads one to conclude that those who favor the new red state voter suppression laws are either ignorant of actual voter procedures and fraud data, or they really do favor undemocratic laws that favor their political bias.

When you prefer to use the spin from one or two anecdotal cases of voter fraud to rationalize laws that would not even impact your cited cases, we have to question your motives and your relevance to honest discussion.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45539 of 60235
Subject: Re: 'Dead Voter' found alive Date: 9/20/2012 9:39 PM
Recommendations: 10
At any given time there will always be names of dead people on the voter rolls. Unless someone develops a technology that immediately eliminates a person's name from the rolls the second they stop breathing, that has to be the case.

Remember that names of dead people on a voter roll is not any evidence of voter fraud - no matter how many names are included. Someone has to actually assume the identity of that person and cast their ballot to make it fraud.

So . . . the only way voter ID laws would protect us from this kind of dead voter ID theft fraud is if the person who takes on the identity of a dead person shows up at their precinct and lies to the poll worker about who they are and where they live. They better hope that none of the poll workers and none of the people in the polling place knew the dead person or knows them. Also, if they expect to vote on their own behalf, they better be living outside the precinct of the dead person whose identity they are going to steal. Otherwise they will have to go through the same line of poll workers a second time that day claiming to be someone else.

Let's assume that someone took these risks and got away with it. That's one fraudulent vote. Now all they have to do is figure out how to do it hundreds or thousands of times more so they can steal an election.

Claims that voter fraud is a significant problem are pure BS. Claims that the current line-up of voter suppression laws would have a significant impact on reduction of voter fraud are even more absurd. Wingnuts who insist on clinging to these manufactured lies in order to suppress votes and stifle Democracy are either misguided fools or devious liars.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45552 of 60235
Subject: Re: 'Dead Voter' found alive Date: 9/21/2012 8:34 PM
Recommendations: 1
"When you prefer to use the spin from one or two anecdotal cases of voter fraud to rationalize laws that would not even impact your cited cases, we have to question your motives and your relevance to honest discussion. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Curiously enough, the motives of folks who do not want voters
to be validated are questioned by those who suggest that some
way to ensure "unbiased" elections makes sense.

The case in Maryland was linked from the web-site of the Md Democratic
Party.

Howie52
More and more what I see in the liberal and conservative rhetoric
seems like two little children in a playground fighting over a
ball calling each other names.
Neither side seems to remember that without both of them there is
no game.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45557 of 60235
Subject: Re: 'Dead Voter' found alive Date: 9/22/2012 1:10 AM
Recommendations: 1
Curiously enough, the motives of folks who do not want voters
to be validated are questioned by those who suggest that some
way to ensure "unbiased" elections makes sense.

The case in Maryland was linked from the web-site of the Md Democratic
Party.

Liar or a fool. Either way, no intelligent conversation here. Ploink.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45563 of 60235
Subject: Re: 'Dead Voter' found alive Date: 9/22/2012 11:32 AM
"Liar or a fool. "

Yeah, I like you too.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45564 of 60235
Subject: Re: 'Dead Voter' found alive Date: 9/22/2012 11:42 AM
Sorry.
I should really thank you for making my point so well.

Attack away and always - always assume people who do not follow
party lines are fools or liars.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement