UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: satiranarchist Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 731  
Subject: Dean is DNC Chair Date: 2/12/2005 11:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
YYEEEEEEAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

One year ago, the Massholechussetts Mafia made sure that the Dems rejected the positive change inherent in the Dean candidacy.
Today, Dean directs that very party .

Guvnor' we got your back!

*JR*
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jimpiccard Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 720 of 731
Subject: Re: Dean is DNC Chair Date: 2/13/2005 12:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Part of the problem is, the Republicans in general....and the RRR (Rabid Religous Right) in particular, are celebrating as well. He is not a 'balanced', seasoned politician; and his (semi-extreme) positions essentially led to a Kerry victory...which was a loss.

Basically, what the Dems need to help return some democracy to America is someone like a Clinton and others of that movement inside the party (what were they called?) that led the party to a more comprehensive set of positions and concensus'. (Of course, we'd need all that.....without the Clinton weaknesses, of course).

What the Republicans are hoping for now is that Dean 'succeeds' in rebuilding the Party into a Dean-like Party---something they feel they can handily defeat. And I think they are right.

jp

Author: satiranarchist Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 721 of 731
Subject: Re: Dean is DNC Chair Date: 2/13/2005 1:06 AM
Recommendations: 1
Dean energizes the base, brings new people into the mix, and increases the economic viability.
The Repukes want to kill it before it grows.

*JR*

Author: verdure One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 722 of 731
Subject: Re: Dean is DNC Chair Date: 2/13/2005 9:24 PM
Recommendations: 1

jp,

<<What the Republicans are hoping for now is that Dean 'succeeds' in rebuilding the Party into a Dean-like Party---something they feel they can handily defeat. And I think they are right.>>

I was a Clark supporter but I'm content to see Dean as the party head. Four years is a long time and if Gov. Dean is as smart as I think he is, he'll use that to his advantage. A presidential campaign is all-out war with people who are struggling mightily to get the publics attention. Dean will now have it. And he can sit back and pick his fights, and let George stumble. I'm more than willing to give him a chance. And I like people who fight. And I think the American people do also.

Joe

Author: DrJHawk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 723 of 731
Subject: Re: Dean is DNC Chair Date: 2/14/2005 2:34 PM
Recommendations: 3
I have been a long ardent supporter of Gov. Dean's policies. What turned me off after the Iowa caucas was how he had burned through $40 million. What I now like about Chairman Dean is his committment to moving the power within the Democratic Party away from Washington, D.C. and back to the grassroots. If the Democratics are to return to power they have to get back in touch with the people that have traditionally supported Democrats. That is where the ideas exist that will bring us back into power.

Rock Chalk, y'all,

Dr. J. Hawk

Author: jimpiccard Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 724 of 731
Subject: Re: Dean is DNC Chair Date: 2/17/2005 3:05 AM
Joe-

There was nothing wrong per se with what you've said. But, IF (for example) the fighting he does is all bitching, all anti- (and I'm as anti-George Bush/Dick Cheney as anyone in existence), he needs to keep that below 40% of what the public hears from him.....and make sure at least 50% is Positive: THEY ARE NOT ONLY WRONG AND DUMB AND INCOMPETENT...but here is the policy on this issue (X) that Democrats believe in (and there are many where he can say that; or where opinion is soft enough to 'lead' the party to an opinion) and keep on hammering home in every forum An Intelligent Alternative.

Remember, Churchill did not get selected PM because his predecessor merely failed; i.e, taken by Hitler et al. That wasn't enough; he got selected because his constant speeches in the Commons throughout the 30s were such that EVERYONE in Britain knew where he stood...and the second it was clear that his predecessor's policies had failed, and pretty much Churchill had been 'right' all along, is why he got the job. When opposition parties just bitch, and have no centeral set of causes to rally behind and actually support.....even if the party in power fails, the people won't think there is any intelligent alternative to go to.

That's what Dean needs to do, IMHO; and what neither Pelosi nor Reid appear able to do.

jp

Author: verdure One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 725 of 731
Subject: Re: Dean is DNC Chair Date: 2/17/2005 2:16 PM

jp,

You are exactly right. The Churchill example is a good example of the 'restoration' of a public figure. Dispite what people thought of Winston's past, he had a public forum to consistently present an alternative view. Which is why Dean as DNC chair now has an opportunity that Gore, Gephart, Clark, Kerry ... et al. do not have.

And time has a way of sorting out the truth but the Democrats also need to 'positively' present their views to the American people.

But Pelosi's reaction to Dean's election was interesting. I'm paraphrasing poorly, but she said something like, "Well, now that Gov. Dean is the DNC chair he is going to have to learn to listen to us leaders here in Congress."

Reading between the lines I'd say that she is saying that "we don't have a real winning strategy to energize the American people but we don't want a @#$%^ populist from Vermont messing with our comfortable power structure.

So the interesting question is, "How much public face time will the Gov. get, and how will he handle the dance between reporters asking him his views and the administrative responcibilities of herding the Democratic 'cats' in Congress.

What he needs is two good advisors like us!
Joe

Author: Alex146 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 726 of 731
Subject: Re: Dean is DNC Chair Date: 2/17/2005 4:44 PM
!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement