UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (306) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: aoeuid One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308882  
Subject: Re: Bankrupt or try to 'gut it out'? Date: 11/4/2012 10:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Dean says, thank you for what you shared. You may have thought it 'rambly' and a bit off-task to the subject matter at hand . . . but I did not. Thank you very much for sharing your wisdom, thoughts and income. They gave me hope for our situation as it relates to my wife's unemployment and debt mountain.

Thanks again,

Dean

T wrote:
(IE self-employed vs. getting a real job

purely anecdata to follow

I am not to the end of this thread,yet, but more than a couple of us here are self employed.
Gingko is and has been for a while, and I think does quite well.
I have been Self Employed for 8 of the last 11 years (not consecutively) - and some years i make 6 figures.
Sometimes I do not.
Sometimes there is no *contract* work and i have to go get 2-3 "Real Jobs" to make a fraction of what I make self employed (as mentioned in my previous post) - while still spending 15 hours a week in a professional job search, which is Much more time consuming than most people realize.
Currently my self-employedness requires travel 50-100% of the time, (read: Away from home for weeks at a time and leaving all the housework to fall on my partner & our overscheduled child) but those are the choices that we as a family have made. Sometimes not everyone agrees with ut, in the moment, but for overall, tis what we have chosen.
My X is self employed and has done well for himself.
His mother has been self employed as a housecleaner and (at 77) still works and makes decent money.
ANother friend has an art studio - which barely scrapes by, but she cleans houses 6 days/week in order to keep her studio open...

While someone else i know has been fired from 5 online self-employment positions in the last year, because she cannot be bothered to turn off the Television (among other things)

My point- and i do have one -is that MANY sufficiently lucrative jobs are through self employment- plumber, carpenter, housekeeper, cleaner, web development, medical transcription...
AND
that where you are now, like it or not, is where you have jointly chosen to be.
You may not realize that this is what you chose, and you may not like the way it has played out, so the only way to change it is to Make Different Choices from this point.
That does not necessarily mean that you both have to change jobs.
It does mean that you(the collective you) have to make different decisions TOGETHER

peace & moving on
t

rambly as always and really trying hard to stay off of this thread
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (306) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement