No. of Recommendations: 2
Or maybe "Dean's Political Anti-Wife."

An article on the elusive Dr. Mrs. Dean, who has so far shown her husband little or no public support in his political ambitions. One must admire a spouse who is comfortable in keeping her (or his) identity through something like this. And yet,... And yet even this liberal author (below) has a problem with her prominent lack of any apparent interest.

Lord knows I should be the last person to criticize anyone regarding these sorts of personal relationships, having exhausted most permutations thereof myself. Nevertheless, experience militates that I point out that regardless of how people choose to arrange their marriages a spouse is a person of undeniable and great importance in anyone's life. A bad relationship with one's spouse can adversely affect a person in a number of ways that would be detrimental to the whole country if it were to impact the office of the President, an extremely stressful job under the best circumstances. If Howard Dean wants to be the most powerful man in the world he and his spouse owe it to the people to be open about themselves.

http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/nyc-henn0114,0,3504486.column?coll=ny-news-columnists
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 55
Ick.

It's come to that, has it? And so soon. First they picked on Dean's mom, now his wife.

No wonder so few normal people run for public office.

If it weren't for this sort of nonsense, Colin Powell would be preisdent instead of the dim son.
No. of Recommendations: 5
A bad relationship with one's spouse can adversely affect a person in a number of ways that would be detrimental to the whole country if it were to impact the office of the President, an extremely stressful job under the best circumstances.

Dean's wife has her own life. She has no interest in giving up her life to hold Dean's hand for a year and a half.

I find her attitude refreshing.

If Howard Dean wants to be the most powerful man in the world he and his spouse owe it to the people to be open about themselves.

His wife is open, and private. As she says, she'll open up more when Dean is elected.

Erik
No. of Recommendations: 1
> "Dean's Political Anti-Wife."

Wow, a hole family of Statesmen/Statespersons.

Those that have no interest in politics, but know them must do it to save the nation.
People in Vermont never saw Judy Dean at her husband's side as Dean scoured the state for votes, not even in 2000 when he fought a tenacious Republican opponent and an electorate angry over his enactment of civil unions. In all his campaigns, she appeared in just one commercial.

Instead, as Dr. Judith Steinberg, she has focused on the family medical practice she shared with her husband. Even though he was governor for nearly 12 years, she barely considered herself Vermont's first lady.

"I think that Vermonters understood that she was a professional woman who was also a good mom and who dedicated herself to her kids and her medical practice," said David Wolk, a former state senator and a friend of the family.

Occasionally, Judy Dean raises her public profile. She was interviewed last week by People magazine, and Vogue magazine plans to feature her in an upcoming issue.

"She's a full-time physician," Dean said, "and we've a 17-year-old at home and that's where she wants to be, and that's where I think she should be."

Judy Dean had no public role in her husband's career as governor, but Allen said Dean relied on her for a reality check -- and still does.

"In gubernatorial races, whenever he did a debate or a TV appearance or a radio show, she listened," Allen said. "The minute the show ended, he would call her and ask, `What did you think?' ... She's doing the same thing in the presidential race."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/01/13/politics1538EST0643.DTL

Hillary Rodham Clinton or Judith Steinberg Dean.

Which wife do you prefer?

Peter
No. of Recommendations: 71
A bad relationship with one's spouse can adversely affect a person in a number of ways

In otherwords, anyone who has a wife that has her own life and own interests has a "bad relationship." <sigh>

Yeah, we'd all be better off if all women were like Laura Bush -- following her husband around like a puppy dog with no ambition of her own. <double sigh>

Excuse me while I go puke now.

Caat
"Yeah, we'd all be better off if all women were like Laura Bush -- following her husband around like a puppy dog with no ambition of her own. <double sigh>"

Mrs. Dean must have a heck of a practice if it is more important than her husband becoming president. Isn't this the decision she actually makes?

Should I go do my job as a doctor, noble, or should I help my husband attempt to become president of the United States and have an influence on the entire free world.

Frankly, were my wife running for president(and viable), I would be doing everything within my power to get her elected. I find it suprising any wife wouldn't be out working to get their husband elected. I do not know here reasons but it is not normal behaviour in my opinion.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I do not know her reasons, but it is not normal behaviour in my opinion.

Exactly right. It's strange, and you have to wonder what's going on. That's the whole point. It's not that she has her own career or that she wants to continue with it, it's that neither one of them ever say anything about her, and she's hardly ever around to show any support. You might expect her to at least show up on the odd weekend. Dean likes to hide the situation behind this "I won't drag my wife around to be a prop for my campaign" stuff, but I find that less to be than convincing.

After all, Dean looks twitchy enough as it is.

No. of Recommendations: 3
Exactly right. It's strange, and you have to wonder what's going on.

I bet Dean's really gay!

Erk
No. of Recommendations: 42
I'm really surprised MrCynic would try and make political hay out of Dean's wife, considering dubya's wife ran down and killed her ex boyfriend.

V.
Yeah, we'd all be better off if all women were like Laura Bush -- following her husband around like a puppy dog with no ambition of her own.

So the women who choose to quit their jobs to be stay at home moms and support their husbands for whatever they do are brainless parasites then?
No. of Recommendations: 8
So the women who choose to quit their jobs to be stay at home moms and support their husbands for whatever they do are brainless parasites then?

No, the people who expect the wives of politicians to quit their jobs and campaign with their husbands for months on end or else they're not being supportive are braindead idiots.

Erik
No. of Recommendations: 102
<< I do not know her reasons, but it is not normal behaviour in my opinion. >>

Exactly right. It's strange, and you have to wonder what's going on....Dean likes to hide the situation behind this "I won't drag my wife around to be a prop for my campaign" stuff, but I find that less to be than convincing.

After all, Dean looks twitchy enough as it is.

Oh fer cryin' out loud!!

When Clinton ran for (and was later elected) president, we heard countless criticisms of Hillary, an intelligent independent thinking woman who was constantly castigated by a number of conservatives as being too involved with her husband's job and for being too much in the public eye and too forceful in her statements.

Now we have Howard Dean's wife, who stays out of the spotlight and has her own life (as a respected physician, apparently), and what do we hear? "it is not normal behaviour".

Sorry that you don't find it "normal" or find Dean's words about it "less [to be (sic)] than convincing". Don't tell me, if a candidate has a wife that is a stay at home wife and leans on her husband's shoulder all the time, we'd probably hear something about that, too.

Of all the slimy, repugnant, ill-considered, close-minded, outright sleazy innuendos. I mean:"A bad relationship with one's spouse can adversely affect a person in a number of ways"? Yeah, it's not enough to attack their political beliefs or make the standard comments about Dean being less-than honest or that he'll lead the country to ruin and so on. No, now we have to attack his marriage because, well, because apparently he doesn't have an (R) after his name.

"Mr. Cynic" my *ss. Try Mr. "I worship the current administration but will spare no effort to denigrate any of their perceived opponents".

-synchronicity
No. of Recommendations: 66
Mrs. Dean must have a heck of a practice if it is more important than her husband becoming president. Isn't this the decision she actually makes?
Should I go do my job as a doctor, noble, or should I help my husband attempt to become president of the United States and have an influence on the entire free world.

Yes, it's sort of like that.

It's very much like when Karen Hughes resigned from her position as one of Bush's top political advisors, and was already in the White House, except she thought it was more important to go home to Texas and raise her kids.

I'm sure you were railing about how that is not "normal behavior" as well.

Weren't you?

Could you point me to those posts of yours where you did?

Because I'm sure you did.

Because you are so consistent in your logic and all.

Aren't you?

I'm sure you are.

I'm sure.

Sure.

"It's very much like when Karen Hughes resigned from her position as one of Bush's top political advisors, and was already in the White House, except she thought it was more important to go home to Texas and raise her kids.

I'm sure you were railing about how that is not "normal behavior" as well."

Karen is married to George Bush, and they are raising kids together and now they are apart, I didn't know that thanks.

As soon as I verify this I will get back to you on the rest.

If George's wife, had essentially disappeared and stayed there during the entire campaign I would have commented, now that I know that woman is a stand-in for Hughes I will have to reconsider.
"No, the people who expect the wives of politicians to quit their jobs and campaign with their husbands for months on end or else they're not being supportive are braindead idiots."

While I really do not have a problem with being called a brain dead idiot by my betters, I have to disagree.

I would not be married to a woman who I believed would not be a major asset out there campaigning for me(ie someone with character, knowledge, etc I respect and admire). I assume Mr. Dean would have criteria somewhat like that regarding picking a wife. So I do see it as rather odd that a person running for President can not convince or does not want his wife to campaign for him.

Certainly I understand people having different priorities. Normal however is 'normal'. I do not recall a major candidate's wife in a presidential campaign being quite so invisible. It clearly is not normal. There may be any number of valid reasons, health concerns, great woman terrible speaker, anti-spotlight bias, none of which make her a bad person, but her not being out there for him is simply not the norm.

No. of Recommendations: 12
I don't get it.

If I was running for President and my wife was a doctor, with a practice and responsibilities, I'd want her to continue her practice and fulfill her responsibilities. Helping sick people is more important than smiling for cameras, shaking hands and kissing babies?

If the candidate were a woman and her husband was a doctor, would anyone expect him to drop evberything and join his wife on the campaign trail? I think not.
No. of Recommendations: 6
Karen is married to George Bush, and they are raising kids together and now they are apart, I didn't know that thanks.
As soon as I verify this I will get back to you on the rest.

That's why I said "It's very much like..."

I'm sorry you don't understand the difference between "very much like' and "identical."

Here is a URL to a dictionary which may help you in the future:

http://www.dictionary.com

"I'm sorry you don't understand the difference between "very much like' and "identical"

Your wife and one of your aides are 'very much alike'? I do not expect my employees to behave very much like my wife. I am sorry you can not understand the distinction.

I'll just have to assume you spent too much time following Clinton.
"When Clinton ran for (and was later elected) president, we heard countless criticisms of Hillary, an intelligent independent thinking woman who was constantly castigated by a number of conservatives as being too involved with her husband's job and for being too much in the public eye and too forceful in her statements."

It's typical rightist hypocrisy.
No. of Recommendations: 6
<< it is not normal behaviour >>
<<Normal however is 'normal'.>>

And normal always means "right" for every person? I didn't change my last name when I got married. I like my name. It's a nice name. It's served me very well for many years. Why should I change it? Because it's normal? I guess that means that my husband has a "bad relationship" because he respects me enough to not expect that I would give up my own name (ie: part of my individuality) instead of "taking his."

I don't know, perhaps Dean is enlightened enough, and secure enough with his masculinity, that he doesn't want a female 'clone' running around after him. You know? Some men actually like independent women! <Gasp> -- The Horror!

nor·mal  
Conforming with, adhering to, or constituting a norm, standard, pattern, level, or type; typical...
www.dictionary.com

It used to be "normal" for little children to work in sweatshops, too. Did that make it right? It used to be "normal" for women to be kept at home, at any cost, with no choice to go to work. Did that make it right? Obviously for you, yes. Because if it were a woman running for president, you'd never expect her husband to sidestep his career. Why? Because it isn't "normal." -- <sigh>

But, of course, that's the reason we've never seen a female president in this country, because of people with that view of women. "It's simply not "normal." How utterly offensive.

Caat
ORRRRR...we could leave spouses of political candidates out of the debate.

They aren't running, they have no legal impact on the issues, and such discussions invariably dissolve into tasteless character assassination like yesterday's post on this board about Laura Bush.

I might add for those of you who believe Colin Powell would make a good president, you will never get the opportunity to see.

He already said he will never seek the presidency. Why? His wife has a psychological problem which he refuses to expose to the carnivores called "journalists" in this country, or the international "mad dog" papparazzi.

For those of you who think family members of candidates should be "fair game" for the press, or that press coverage is always as benign as the Bush twins little drinking episodes, consider the joke SENATOR McCain told at a PUBLIC fundraiser.

"Know why Chelsea Clinton is so ugly?
Janet Reno is her father!"

How many of you would like to open the morning paper and read this about YOUR 16 year old daughter?

Not too many, I'd venture...

Betty

"I don't know, perhaps Dean is enlightened enough, and secure enough with his masculinity, that he doesn't want a female 'clone' running around after him. You know? Some men actually like independent women! <Gasp> -- The Horror!"

Please feel free to express all the righteous indignation that I personally expect of the Left here on the Fool.

Your wife, not campaigning for you is weird IMO, it is far beyond not normal, though I tried to be civil about it.

A good independent Women that loved you and would have a positive impact on how people view you is not an asset? So independent that she believes what she is doing is going to have a greater impact than what her husband can do as President?

It is weird for Dean not to have his wife's active support, or for Dean's wife to have higher priorities than getting Dean elected. It is weird for Dean to feel she is doing something that is more important. This seems to be what you believe is the case.

<sigh> what a

How utterly preposterous a rant.

There may be a good reason that she is not out there, I mentioned a few in an earlier post, the rant was pretty funny though, is that you Howard?
Pity MrsCynic....
No. of Recommendations: 63
Your wife, not campaigning for you is weird IMO, it is far beyond not normal, though I tried to be civil about it.

Perhaps Dean could get a shop window manniquin and dress it up to look like his wife, then stand it up behind him at his various photo ops. It would have as much personality and make as much of an impression as Laura Bush has, which appears to be all that is expected of a presidential candidate's wife.

pix
"If the candidate were a woman and her husband was a doctor, would anyone expect him to drop evberything and join his wife on the campaign trail? I think not. "

Were I the husband, and I could aid the campaign, I guarantee I would have my bottom out there doing all I could.
Your wife and one of your aides are 'very much alike'? I do not expect my employees to behave very much like my wife. I am sorry you can not understand the distinction.

I'll just have to assume you spent too much time following Clinton.

And I'll have to assume that you spent too much time trying to surpass Clinton: where he "didn't inhale", you haven't exhale yet. Are you aware that this stuff is bad for the brain?

Must be the reason why analogies are way beyond your comprehension.

Francois
lowstudent:-

Study harder. I've heard the process can increase the capacity for logic.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Were I the husband, and I could aid the campaign, I guarantee I would have my bottom out there doing all I could.

So, after you've spent all that time and effort to get your medical degree and build up a practice, you would have no problem with putting it all on hold for possibly 6 to 8 years in order to give your total support to your wife's presidential aspirations? Like, medical technology is moving at such a snail's pace that you can keep up with it by reading a few journals on the campaign trail?

Or, after having held such a responsible position for several years, you think that you would be satisfied with standing in the background, shaking hands, smiling, and thanking people for coming out to show your wife support? Never ever expressing an opinion contrary to the party line? (Never expressing an opinion at all, for that matter.)

Man, you must have really hated being an imaginary doctor.

pix
If I was running for President and my wife was a doctor, with a practice and responsibilities, I'd want her to continue her practice and fulfill her responsibilities. Helping sick people is more important than smiling for cameras, shaking hands and kissing babies?

And some of us think it's more important than baking cookies.
"If the candidate were a woman and her husband was a doctor, would anyone expect him to drop evberything and join his wife on the campaign trail? I think not. "
---

Yeah, but you obviously don't have anything better to do. ;-)

Elizbeth Dole managed it, Hillary Clinton managed it. Not Doctors I agree, but women of accomplishment.

Realistically, you could be a rather avid campaigner and not give it all up. Not be by your man's side, but attending many functions and speaking. Doctor's in particular have the ability to build flexibility into their schedules.

It remains odd. Regardless of her being a doctor. That she apparently hasn't found the time to be a part of her husbands campaign.

This isn't an issue IMO, just a point I personally find weird. The fact that I can't imagine someone with a spouse that wouldn't want to do all they could to help if their life's partner were making a reasonable attempt at becoming President of the US. Doesn't make either Dean or his wife good or bad folks, just odd IMO.

This isn't an issue IMO, just a point I personally find weird. The fact that I can't imagine someone with a spouse that wouldn't want to do all they could to help if their life's partner were making a reasonable attempt at becoming President of the US. Doesn't make either Dean or his wife good or bad folks, just odd IMO.

Well, if my husband were to decide he wanted to run for president I would probably divorce him.

pix
"Well, if my husband were to decide he wanted to run for president I would probably divorce him."

That would be the more rational choice, no argument
Advertisement