UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 756479  
Subject: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 10:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 29
As I told you a while back, I am unemployed. I posted a rant that got plenty of recs and an FA because I spoke impiously about The Mighty Obama and laid the lousy business conditions on his doorstep.

Anyway, it was fun for a while, being unemployed and all that. I got to sleep in, help Mom and Dad around their house, and help my kid with her business for free. But, like all good things, it is time for that to come to an end - not helping Mom/Dad and my kid, but the extended vacation.

Friday, I am going to see my kid (75 miles south of me) and take a lot of the admin stuff off her hands, so she and her fiance can concentrate on running the business and growing the pie. They are going to teach me what needs to be done and how.

One thing I got from Uncle Sam was a few admin skills. If you need a department run smoothly from an admin aspect, I'm your man.

In the course of my working life I have always been a contentious and hard worker, not the fastest, but if you needed something done perfectly by a certain time, I was your man.

I have always had structure, though. Uncle Sam provided that in abundance. There was always 20 lbs of crap to fit into a 10 lbs bag in a certain way. The military provided that structure, as did the oil patch and trucking. Those tasks tend to be mission-oriented and if you needed to work 16-18 hours a day to get them done, so be it.

So here I am at age 55 with few marketable skills. I have made a few forays into the job market and I don't want to compete with folks for $10-12/hour, with the stress of a boss looking over my shoulder and gossipy co-workers. I have come to like the independence that came from trucking.

I am researching what I can do from home. I have a few ideas and am looking into them.

Like MichaelRead, I just can't see myself sitting around growing old. For the past few months I have been somewhat busy helping my kid, taking Dad to his numerous doctor's appointments, volunteering at the local VA hospital, chauffering Mom around (she hates to drive and my Dad shouldn't drive due to health reasons), and what-not, but it is time to provide my ownstructure for the first time in my life and go solo.

It is a somewhat scary and uncomfortable feeling, but life is what it is, right? We all gotta have our horizons expanded from time to time.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658349 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 10:28 AM
Recommendations: 0
"I am researching what I can do from home. I have a few ideas and am looking into them."

Don't you realize at this point in your life, it is time to become a 'victim'.

Surely from all that trucking, heaving lifting, hours of being bounced around in an 18 wheeler, you've developed major back problems. Shooting pain up and down your legs and back. Total inability to lift anything over 5 lbs. You need to spend hours a day in a chair just to get through the day.

You, too, can become a 'welfare weenie'. Just find a compliant doc who will certify you have 'soft tissue' injuries and 'deteriorated back' from all that hard work and are unable to sit, stand, lift, or do other productive work.

THen, get in bed with one of those lawyer shark types that promise they'll get you disability benefits because, well, you are a 'victim' of the system, have 'worked all your life' and became 'injured' on the job and are 'unable to work'. Get your free $1200 or so a month in disability, and in two years you can sign up for Medicare, too!.....

Retire early on the taxpayer!.....3 or 4 million have already done it in the past few years! record numbers. Don't be left out!

It might take 18 months to get disability. THe first time you will be denied. YOu'll likely get it on appeal.....about 90% do. Just read up on how to have your doc write up your application and how to moan and groan about 'your back' and 'inability to stand, sit, lift or pay attention for more than a few minutes'.

this has been a tele public service announcement.

t.

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658352 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 10:43 AM
Recommendations: 7
Don't you realize at this point in your life, it is time to become a 'victim'

I know that you mean this in jest, but I'd rather be dead than be a victim. I am eligible for food stamps most likely, but I won't take them.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658356 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 10:59 AM
Recommendations: 1
It might take 18 months to get disability. THe first time you will be denied. YOu'll likely get it on appeal.....about 90% do.

The number from Social Security don't back up the 90% success rate. Success rate is closer to 35%, and the success rate is decreasing.

Since 1997, those receiving Social Security disability has almost doubled. The economy is undoubtably forcing some to seek disability, when they would have continued working. Increasing population and aging population is also increasing the numbers.

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/dibStat.html

Author: Stetson20 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658357 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 11:03 AM
Wolverine,

75 miles south sound like you'll end up down near me again. Would live to buy you a cup of coffee (at my store, of course) and trade war stories!

Stetson20
retired Navy (if you recall)

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658373 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 11:55 AM
Look for a job around Dallas and move to one of the suburbs or small towns on the north side of the metroplex. You'll find a job.

You'll be around a lot of 'like-minded' people and be another voter that can help stem the slowly growing 'blue state' trend that is infecting Texas.

decath

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658385 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 12:26 PM
Look for a job around Dallas and move to one of the suburbs or small towns on the north side of the metroplex. You'll find a job.

Since DD and I are essentially business partners, we've discussed moving south. DD has a thyroid condition which makes her pretty cold intolerant. Obviously, she suffers 3-4 months of the year up here in MI.

Another plus for the Metroplex is that my ex (DDs mother) lives in Garland. Over the years, they have patched things up a bit and DD often pines to be closer to her half-siblings (two girls and a boy). Since my ex is from The Philippines, there is only so much help she can offer her American born daughters. DD likes playing the big sister. The girls are just entering their teenage years.

We may take you up on that offer soon. We'll see.

You'll be around a lot of 'like-minded' people and be another voter that can help stem the slowly growing 'blue state' trend that is infecting Texas.

Texans like guns. What's not to like <g>?

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658386 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 12:36 PM

Actually, it would be two voters and possibly a third, if TX allows felons to vote. When DD gets on a rant about liberals and the moocher class, you'd swear it was me talking.

FSIL was a hell-raiser as a young man. They used to break into the local HS and party, just because they could. No damage, just limit testing.

They took a couple of years break from doing so, but one night they decided to relive old times and do it again. Little did they know that in the meantime the school installed motion detectors and the cops caught them inside the building. Then when he decied to test limits again and skip parole.... felony conviction with nine months in prison and many years probation.

This took place over 15 years ago and he's kept his nose clean since.

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658388 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 12:39 PM
Then when he decied to test limits again and skip parole.... felony conviction with nine months in prison and many years probation.

Excuse me, I got parole and probation inverted, but you know what I mean.

Author: CairnDad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658390 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 12:42 PM
as did the oil patch

Have you considered going back to the oil patch?

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658391 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 12:45 PM
Have you considered going back to the oil patch?

I have, but at age 55 I knnow it'll kick my arse. It did when I was 51. I don't imagine it has gotten any easier with time.

Author: Dwdonhoff Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658399 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 1:20 PM
Hi Wolfie,

In the course of my working life I have always been a contentious and hard worker.......
Freudian slip? ;~)

I certainly join in with the rest of the court here cheering you on, in whatever you do.

Want a bit of a pick me up? Re-watch the Harland Sanders (The Kentucky Colonel) biography... he only reall got into the groove at 65!
http://www.biography.com/people/colonel-harland-sanders-1235...

Luck Pal!!!

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658404 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 1:28 PM
Freudian slip? ;~)

Not really. The bad spelling bug got me. Here ya go... conscientious

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658405 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 1:29 PM
Hi Wolfie,

In the course of my working life I have always been a contentious and hard worker.......
Freudian slip? ;~)

Kinda makes you wonder if he really did get probation and parole mixed up<grin>

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658413 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 1:54 PM
wolve
Texans like guns. What's not to like <g>?

Give it enough time and you'll be a Cowboy season ticket holder. lol

decath

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658415 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 1:59 PM
wolve
FSIL was a hell-raiser as a young man. They used to break into the local HS and party, just because they could. No damage, just limit testing.

They took a couple of years break from doing so, but one night they decided to relive old times and do it again. Little did they know that in the meantime the school installed motion detectors and the cops caught them inside the building. Then when he decied to test limits again and skip parole.... felony conviction with nine months in prison and many years probation.

My wife's little brother used to do things like that. He even took the principal sign from the office door home. Stupid. He was lucky he never got caught.

Years later, he gave that sign to DW as a joke after she started homeschooling my 2 kids. It was ironic because we incorporated Christian values in a lot of the assignments and we never knew where he got that sign until many years later after he told us his transgressions.

Now he runs his own Title business and will probably accumulate his 1st million before he turns 50.

decath

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658418 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 2:16 PM
Give it enough time and you'll be a Cowboy season ticket holder. lol

Aaaarrrrgh. My eyes are burning just from reading those words!!!!

Seriously, I have three favorite teams.

1. The Lions (I'm a glutton for punishment)

2. The Packers (I own one share)

3. Whomever is playing the Cowboys.

The only time I root against the Packers is when they play the Lions. I'll yell at the TV, shake my fist at them, and called them foul and vile names, but I'll never root for the Lions to lose. Never.

Author: Hochizen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658425 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 2:52 PM
Hey wolverine...

Sorry to hear about your troubles....at a younger age, I was on unemployment a few times myself. Tougher now that you are older.

However, it sounds like you DO have skills that could translate into employment for the next decade or two.

I would suggest checking out the state's job training programs. They sometimes offer money while you are trained, from what I have heard. My sister in law was about to do one of their programs when she got offered her old job back a few years ago.

Also, many many years ago, I was set up with an appointment with the Jewish Vocational Services in Southfield, I think it was, but cancelled when I got a job. You don't have to be Jewish for their help, and as I recall it was free. A few miles south for you, but it may well be worth the trip. http://www.jvsdet.org/site/PageServer?pagename=home

Good luck! There really ARE opportunities out there...and even if you are confused politically, your ability to write well speaks highly of you.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658427 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 3:06 PM
but I'll never root for the Lions to lose. Never.
____________________________-

Nor do I, I have found over the years they do fine without my support<grin>

With apologies, I have just been in this rut of making fun of football fans. My team has been winning a lot of Super Bowls and more importantly a lot of friends are Jets fans(who I kind of root for, but abuse the fans anyway, when your coach is a major foot fetish and you walk with swagger no matter how much you suck, it is a natural)

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658443 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 4:04 PM
I can tell you from personal experience that reinventing your career definitely IS scary at first, but is exhilarating in the end. Good luck with this.

Also: It's NOT TRUE that you have few marketable skills. You outlined a number great traits in your post - diligence, attention to details, and work ethic. You mentioned admin skills which means management and leadership.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658450 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 4:39 PM
I have come to like the independence that came from trucking.

You might consider being a chauffeur if you can obtain the necessary license.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658452 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 4:44 PM
Dope wrote: You [wolverine] outlined a number great traits in your post - diligence, attention to details, and work ethic. You mentioned admin skills which means management and leadership.

Sales positions representing quality products or services always pay well and are sorely needed in our complex society.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658492 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/5/2012 9:42 PM
Like MichaelRead, I just can't see myself sitting around growing old. For the past few months I have been somewhat busy helping my kid, taking Dad to his numerous doctor's appointments, volunteering at the local VA hospital, chauffeuring Mom around (she hates to drive and my Dad shouldn't drive due to health reasons), and what-not, but it is time to provide my own structure for the first time in my life and go solo.

It is a somewhat scary and uncomfortable feeling, but life is what it is, right? We all gotta have our horizons expanded from time to time.

Wolverine

Wolvie, you’re a trained go-do-it man. That’s a talent that drives any endeavor. With it you can go into virtually any situation and create order out of chaos.

I once said the objective of business is get the product out the door and into the customer’s hands so he can send a check. I see you doing that Real Well.

MichaelR

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658507 of 756479
Subject: Re: Dear fellow hayseedians Date: 12/6/2012 12:10 AM
In the course of my working life I have always been a contentious and hard worker

I hope not. I bet your kid would prefer a conscientious worker.

:)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement