No. of Recommendations: 0
Dear friends: I need an advise for safe investments without tax cociderations since i am living here but didn't get my green card yet so i don't have to concider tax at all. i am amovice and very worried about the situation and what to do. i read a lot of yours posts and began to learn a little especially from Bruce. please help. ornia.

You need to know what you're saving your money for in order to make a good decision about which investments to choose. If you're trying to keep money that will be instantly available in case of an emergency or immediate need, you should probably be looking at money market accounts at your bank. If you wish to get higher interest rates, you can consider bank certificates of deposit (CDs). Most CDs will charge you a penalty if you withdraw your money before the maturity date, so this might not be appropriate if you need immediate access to your money at all times.

I don't believe U.S. savings bonds are available to non-residents, but these would also be good long-term investments.

Finally, you should know that even non-residents must pay tax on U.S. source income. Interest paid to you by a bank, however, is specifically exempt from tax for non-residents. You can get a copy of IRS Form 1040-NR for more details.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.