Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Dear Hotfoot:

You imply from your reply (#4020) that people exhibiting poor judgement in credit card use makes part of the case for forced savings for Social Security. Some of the most prudent savers I know were once credit card abusers. Like being a parent, there are times when you have to allow the children to make their mistakes so they can learn from them. I hope you are not suggesting that since we can force people to save with SS, we could force them not to abuse their credit cards by controlling the process from Washington. Our politicians in Washington have not exactly been shining examples of prudent spending and budgetary control.

Your observation that many people will never put money in the market or trust it or understand it seems a bit on the gloomy side. I'll bet that 30 or 40 years ago there were many prognosticators out there who would never have thought we would have anywhere near as many people with investments in stocks and bonds as we now do. On the other hand, do these people to which you refer understand the Social Security system sufficiently well to make intelligent voting decisions about it? It's all about informing and educating people.

You commented that no one likes being on the receiving end of charity and I agree. That's because we don't like being dependent on others, like, for instance, the politicians in Washington who dole out Social Security benefits.

You also commented that talking to the guy who is on line every day would reveal the edge of where the gap between the haves and have nots begins. In my former life, I talked to the guy on the line every day, as I did the guys in the laboratory and in the corner offices and never noticed this edge of which you speak. I am more familiar with the have/have not terminology coming from our Washington politicians when they need to invoke some emotional appeal to class distinction in order to pass legislation.

Regards,
fingfool
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement