UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1962076  
Subject: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 12:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 21
The plutocrats have been trying for all the years since the New Deal to achieve three goals. The two most important are the death of unions and the end of social secrity.

With the Michigan coup I think they are very close to success. Those union members, past and present, who owe their lifestyle to union organization, should be proud they became Reagan Democrats. I know LM is, and she wouldn't have had a pot or a window without the IBEW.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844309 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 12:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
With the Michigan coup I think they are very close to success.

Not so fast.

Jamming this legislation through Michigan's lame-duck legislature is going to have political consequences.

This has energized the unions in Michigan like nothing else. They're going to work all out to defeat some key Republicans in 2014, including Governor Rick.

Michigan Governor Rick Snyder got elected with a lot of votes from Democrats because he's seen as a moderate businessman who, among other things, promised to not sign "right-to-work" legislation. He switched his position only after having his arm twisted by Grover Norquist and Dick DeVos, an uber-wealthy, Michigan arch-conservative and scion of the Amway clan.

Snyder's in a tough spot, caught between the moderate Republicans and Democrats who supported him and the right-wing money machine that threatens to destroy him if he steps out of line.

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844316 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 12:31 PM
Recommendations: 0
This has energized the unions in Michigan like nothing else. They're going to work all out to defeat some key Republicans in 2014, including Governor Rick.

2 years is a long time. The unions are likely going to need the MI economy to be down with high unemployment. If the opposite it true, then the GOP can point to the success of the legislation. If people are gainfully employed, the unions will have a hard sell. There's also the possibility that many will stop paying dues limiting their resources to go on the attack.

Grape

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844319 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 12:37 PM
Recommendations: 3
Seriously x-life

From your lips to God's ear.

You have a very complacent suburban middle class. They think their success is a birthright. THey have no idea the price that was paid for them to live as they do by people who fought for the good of the many.

According to the best analysis the middle class numbers continue to dwindle. They seem to believe that continuing our march to plutocracy will solve all their problems. Meanwhile those already afflicted blame everything on minorities ( Lurker Mom would be a prime example).

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844321 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 12:40 PM
Recommendations: 2
By the way, Scarborough, ever the politician, was going on this morning about the NEED for unions. When it was he, and his ilk, that did everything they could to destry unions. Who the hell is he trying to fool.

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844325 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 12:43 PM
Recommendations: 49
There's also the possibility that many will stop paying dues limiting their resources to go on the attack.

Yes. And that's the main point of this RTW legislation, to defund unions and neuter them as a political force in Michigan. Screwing workers by lowering their wages is just a nice side benefit.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844326 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 12:48 PM

Maybe they'll start a recall drive of the Governor. They can ship in protestors and voters from other states. Maybe have the Democrats flee the State as a protest so nothing else can be done for months.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844328 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 12:51 PM
Maybe they'll start a recall drive of the Governor. They can ship in protestors and voters from other states. Maybe have the Democrats flee the State as a protest so nothing else can be done for months.

On the upside, if they are out of state they probably can do a little less harm, so its' all good

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844329 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 12:54 PM
On the upside, if they are out of state they probably can do a little less harm, so its' all good

Does Michigan have same day voter registration? That's more harm.

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844331 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 1:05 PM
Recommendations: 45
Yes. And that's the main point of this RTW legislation

You can't strike with RTW. The bosses will just replace you with scabs. THat is what those auto plants down south are, scab plants. Those sad sacks are making 14@hr, no benefits, and no job protection. Boss doesn't like you because you vote Dem, or go to the wrong church, out you go. Scab mine workers are the mine workers who are dying in unsafe mines. You go down a scab hole and you know the risk.

A $14@hour worker with kids survives with food stamps and CHIP for his kids health. Privatize the profits and socialize the costs.

Author: 99lashes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844333 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 1:11 PM
Jamming this legislation through Michigan's lame-duck legislature is going to have political consequences.

Just think what that Republican Lincoln did with the 13th ammendment.

Look what happened to him.

Yikes.

Author: markand4504 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844337 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 1:23 PM
A $14@hour worker with kids survives with food stamps and CHIP for his kids health. Privatize the profits and socialize the costs.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
So now you are blaming non-union companies for the costs associated with liberal entitlement programs (food stamps/CHIP)? Most shameless thing I've heard today.

I guess the alternative is to pay the guy who bolts on the steering wheel $40/hr? Great idea. Bankrupt the company.

Mark

Author: markand4504 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844340 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 1:26 PM
Yes. And that's the main point of this RTW legislation, to defund unions and neuter them as a political force in Michigan. Screwing workers by lowering their wages is just a nice side benefit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
It only defunds the union if people decide they don't want to be members of the union anymore. If the union is good for the workers, they will remain members.

Mark

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844362 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 2:01 PM
A $14@hour worker with kids survives with food stamps and CHIP for his kids health.

Depends. If there is a second income then they probably don't need that.

Grape

Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844377 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 2:23 PM
Gotta love out of touch Liberals who on one hand are so cavalier about the negative effects of free trade, but then sympathize with unions.

Anyway, hopefully unions aren't dying.

They hurt job creation in America.

Therefore, I'm 100% in favor of unions.

I hope Obama gets card-check. That will hurt smaller firms too.

Obama 2012....get em Mr President. I voted for you for this reason.

JediG

Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844412 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 3:32 PM
NO,

Huge benefit to America!

Author: LurkerMom Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844496 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 6:38 PM
With the Michigan coup I think they are very close to success. Those union members, past and present, who owe their lifestyle to union organization, should be proud they became Reagan Democrats. I know LM is, and she wouldn't have had a pot or a window without the IBEW.

LMAO...Hope and Change has been replaced by Envy and Jealousy.

Eat your heart goof....I'm enjoying your rants, even if they are at my expense. :)

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844549 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 10:09 PM
Therefore, I'm 100% in favor of unions.

Of course. China is one big management-run union.

Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844553 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 10:21 PM
China is the nation President Obama won't label a currency manipulator.

So here's to China for eating your lunch.

And here's to Obama's Wall Street buddies....they own you.

JediG

Author: Ga1Dawg Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844558 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 10:37 PM
It only defunds the union if people decide they don't want to be members of the union anymore. If the union is good for the workers, they will remain members.

Mark
Unfortunately that's not true. A scab can get union pay and benefits and representation without paying (union dues) for it. That's the Federal law.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844571 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/12/2012 11:28 PM
So here's to China for eating your lunch.

They can have the baloney and hot dogs.

I prefer beef lo mein--so I am eating *their* lunch.

Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844645 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/13/2012 11:43 AM
Much of the country, especially the unemployed don't share your smugness.

But then again, you don't care about that.

JerryBain

JediG

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1844786 of 1962076
Subject: Re: Death of unions huge for the right Date: 12/13/2012 5:32 PM
Much of the country, especially the unemployed don't share your smugness.

Conservatives put the economy into the crapper, so it is their smugness.

But then again, you don't care about that.

Obama is consistently and steadily creating jobs--GWB did not.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement